1.3 Misfiring

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Sam., Dec 14, 2010.

1. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

I've got a bit of a problem with one of my 1.3 mk2s (2G Engine). On a cold morning, it'll start fine, and after about 5/10 minutes of running it'll stall. When you try to start it again 50% of the time it won't start (Just keeps turning over on the starter), and misfires, then when it eventually gets running it will misfire at low throttle for about 10 minutes.
    So far i've swapped the plugleads over from a known working engine, and its still no better.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers.

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

is this engine pierberg 2E3 equipped?

if so check the choke opens when engine is warm

3. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

Never really thought about the choke. The engine needs a new thermostat, so i'll get the new one in tomorrow. Thinking about it, the lack of warm coolant would cause the choke to stick on?
    cheers

4. holty Forum Member

are you using standard airbox/filter?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could be carb icing? does it do this when driving along or just when sat there idling after a cold start

6. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

Yeah, standard airbox and it'll do it when driving and idling

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the warm air pipe is there and the metal shroud on the exhaust manifold is still there. also make sure the 2 vac lines to the airbox are connected, can fall off the carb end if not carefull. last of all check the warm air flap actually opens when car running, may have to take airbox off with vac lines still connected to see the flap move

8. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

Will do. Flushing the coolant system + changing the thermostat today so i'll see how that effects it.

9. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

Just been out and changed the stat, still doing it. It started fine from stone-cold, but when the accelerator is pressed it started to misfire. But if you let off the pedal, it idles fine [:s]

Edit: Running fine now [:s]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I had a 1.3 breifly and the problems were solved by replacing the vac hoses from vag

11. WillG

WillG Forum Member

has it got an earth from the carb to the cam cover?

12. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

yup! Think i've just found the problem, dizzy cap is a bit cracked
    cheers

13. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

Bah, thought I had it sorted by changing the dizzy cap and worn rotor arm.
    Just been out and started it (stone cold), and it misfires under throttle (fine idle).
    Any thoughts on what it could be? Still runs fine when warmed up.

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

checked for perished breathers and vac lines/pipes?