1.3 vs 1.4 cylinder head

Discussion in '8-valve' started by marty1979, Mar 5, 2009.

1. marty1979 New Member

Hi guys, great forum you have here. I recently bought a MK2 1.3 Ryder that was destined for the scrap heep, it had a blown head gasket. Anyway, I sorted the gasket, but then one of the plugs decided to snap off in the head, leaving only the threaded part. So, off comes the head..............again, but I split the bugger trying to remove what was left of the spark plug. I have found a 1.4 cylinder head, for a MK3 I'm assuming. Does anyone know the difference in the two heads as they look exactly the same. I'm thinking maybe the only difference is the cams, even though the part numbers are slightly different. Any help is much appreciated. Take care. Martin

2. mark25 Forum Junkie

I think it will work OK, the valve stems are smaller i think, so more power:thumbup: Although if it's am MPi mk3, it will have extra injector holes you'll have to block.

3. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

on the 1.3 the camshaft drives the mechanical fuel pump, check that the 1.4 will allow you to fit the fuel pump as well

4. yeha Forum Member

There's a lot of info on ClubPolo and plenty of members local to you. As mentioned, the cam in the 1.4 ABD head doesn't have the fuel pump lobe and also doesn't have a hole for the pump to mount through. You can drill it and tap the holes for the mounting studs. The mk2 cam can be fitted too. The valves should be the same size. I think the ports are slightly larger in the ABD head. Worse case you can add an electric fuel pump.