1.4 16v egr valves gone belly up... egr blanking?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by M7R, Jul 17, 2011.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

we have a seat arosa sport with a 1.4 16v 100bhp engine (2002 model with the drive by wire throttle) and over the last year or so the car has been running a little lean as it keeps flagging the adaptation fault code up, and now it has started flagging the egr flow too high fault, and running like a dog!

if the egr is unplugged the engine picks back up and the idle becomes stable again, so will there be any harm in blanking off the egr valve? or will this cause problems with the fuel mix? (I know it can cause isues on tdis with the emissions and pinking etc when crusing if not mapped out properly) or is the better option to get a new egr valve? (the car is being run by my little bro now so he's not as flush with cash at the mo...but wants to do the fix that wont cause problems later on down the road so to speak)

ta

Karlos

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just bin it/blank it off. More trouble than they`re worth. Poxhall bin their`s on the Astras/Zafiras at the 80k service...

3. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Reasons for EGR and the risks of de activation

See post 8 of "2.0 FSi EGR Problems"[:x]

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I think it maybe fixed, it was a bit coked up so a good going over with brake cleaner and wd40 and it seems to be working again, the idles now smother and seems happer, just need to clear the fault code and see if anything comes back,

5. retrowhore Forum Member

We had the same fault with a 1.6 16v Golf (same engine basically).

Terrible idle until you removed the EGR valve plug.

MOT tester had no issues with it so we never fixed it. Car ran fine for 3 years till we sold it :-)

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

if the emission light is on it should fail the mot I belive, so hey ho.