1.4 ryder starting problem

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by nickid, Sep 6, 2012.

1. nickid Forum Member

having trouble getting this thing started. have changed the coilpack, cleaned the dizy cap and arm, checked the leads and still it wont start on first go. i took the middle coil cable off and held it on the block and truned it over and it seems to spark after i turn it back off? ive had it turning over if i turn the key and straight back off again and keep doing that and i would change the crank shaft sensor but cant find it.
    anyone got give me a kick up the ass

2. glove Forum Member

Have you check the ignition key distributor, when you are cranking if it is not sending power to the ignition coil you will never start, and like you pointed it is coming after you stop cranking. Check it.

3. nickid Forum Member

No I haven't. Will get a volt meter and test it. You wouldn't know what wire to test

4. glove Forum Member

Check the power to the ignition coil it is the black cable, it has to have 12V when you are cranking and after you stop. The green one is coming from the distributor sensor. If the 12V are cutting off when you are cranking it is the ignition key distributor.

5. nickid Forum Member

Spot on mate. Will get a look on my day off and get back to you.

6. glove Forum Member

I am glad to help!!! :thumbup:

7. nickid Forum Member

Put volt meter to the black wire and turned ignition on and it registered 12v

8. glove Forum Member

And what is the situation when you are cranking the engine, is the 12V are still there?

9. nickid Forum Member

hi again. i get 12v when i turn the ignition on and when i turn the key to final click it loses its 12v and doesnt start.
    so ive just pulled the connector off the ignition barrel and fitted them to a spare switch i had and it starts first time.
    glove you smart ****. lol many thanks again

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. glove Forum Member

No problem! ;)

11. nickid Forum Member

hi mate my 2.0 8v wont start now and getting no spark. did the same check with the black wire on crank and it gets charge then when final click of key i lose volage. will it be the ignition switch on this also