1.5L What head to use!?!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Admin, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Admin Guest

My GF has a very tidy ikle MK1 Golf GL 1.5L Auto.

The plan is to convert it to manual soon and then tweek for a bit more power. The 1.5L engine has about 50k on it, it has great oil pressure, runs like a dream never misses a beat and seems to be a very solid bottem end burning no oil or having not one problem in a 2.5k trip we recently did.

The plan is to get rid of the carb and Megasquirt the 1.5L - I have experiance megasuirting cars before. Anyway the question I put to you is this...

Will a MK2 8v PB head fit onto the 1.5L 8v DJ bottem end? will the valves and combustion chamber fit?

I want to stick with the 1.5L as it is in the lower tax braket, runs great etc, i have recently refurbed ported PB head laying around and hope the water ways and oil ways would all line up.

And i don't want to run any other engine size ATM.

Cheers Smudge.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Feck knows... what's the bore size? You'll need at least 77/78mm bore for the valves to clear the sides of the bore, if it's been skimmed, or got a high lift cam.

Where's the water outlet on the head? If it's between 1&2, you probably need a 1600 GTI head - any pics?

I'd expect the head will physically bolt on...

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Are you sure about that engine code? According to http://www.sun-diagnostics.com/products/scanner/VAG-pdf/VAG5x-VW.pdf A DJ engine is a 2.1 transporter job.

Looking at the Mk1 Scirocco Haynes manual, there are 2 different sorts of 1500 ish engine - 1 with a 79.5mm bore, and one with 76.5mm. They're mostly pretty low compression engines (between 7.0:1 and 9.7:1), so if you're going to megasquirt it, I'd say upping the compression would be a good way to get more power, as you'll have good control of the fuelling to handle the higher compression. You need to know which one you're starting with though.

Also, looking at the same Haynes manual, the exploded view of the engine implies that it's the 1.6 GTI flat-faced head type of layout, so it sounds like the PB head isn't going to be an easy solution. That's not 100% accurate of course!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. Admin Guest

Hmmm some food for thought there then. [:-B]

You are right the engine code is JB - crap memery and all. The water jacket is between no1 and no 2 cylinders, if the compression is going to be low and there are potential valve clearance issues then this option might not be worth the hassle.

I was hoping it would be just a bolt on job.

Might just chuck in the 2E, that i'v had waiting in the garage for a rainny day.

Thanks for the info Mike.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like a flattie then, but best way to be sure would be to whip the head off.

Can't find any reference to a JB engine in the 'rocco manual.

6. IanCarvell Forum Member

Hi fella....good to hear the old motor is going well, I told you it was a good one!

The 1500cc from what I have read is a short stroke version of the 1600cc engine, so you would probably be looking for a 1600 GTi Mk1 head....this is a pretty good unit to build up for a 1600cc class in racing because you can bore it upto a 1600cc class capacity limit, but benefit from the extra revs that the short stroke crank gives.

75mm stroke in the 1500cc as opposed to 77mm in the 1600cc....or in that ball park.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've seen evidence of two different configurations of that engine.

The 79mm bore Short stroke lump, as Ian refers to - think it's 1457cc
    A 76.5mm bore longer stroke version - 1471cc

... carfolio would suggest that it's the longer stroke one in the golf, but it's not 100% conclusive.

http://carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=49346

However, why not just fit a 1600 or 1800 GTI lump, or your 2E... and of course the best way to transform the performance of the car would be to fit a manual gearbox... assuming your other half can drive a manual.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

id say being a mk1 its likely that the head is the same/similar as the mk1 1600 gti lump, where is the front water flange on the head, driver or passenger side?

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

See post 2 ;)

EDIT: I mean 4 !

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  10. Admin Guest

All good points there, the auto is getting changed soon, just finishing collecting off a couple of parts, we will ride around in her with a manual and the standard engine for a while (better fuel ecconomy and cheap tax) and then at a later date will tweak the engine, i will probley put the 2E in running the ported head all on megasquirt, the 2E and head i have were running in my old MK2 on digi and the engine pulled very well.

Cheers for the input, ill have a look into the prices for the 1600 heads and find out what bore and stroke the we are running.

cheers guys.

11. Admin Guest

Just out of interest, what would be the maximum bore the 1.5L be a able to take? if anyone knows ;)