1.6 8v on dellorto 40’s

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by dubgero, Mar 20, 2004.

1. dubgero New Member

I have a 1.6 8v and a set off twin dellorto 40's. The engine is from a mark 2 driver and has the standard pierburg single carb on it [:^(] Just wondering if anyone knew what i would need to fit the dellortos im guessin i will need jets, an inlet manifold,an uprated fuel pump and a throttle linkage (i only have the carbs no parts to connect to an engine) i will also be getting a 4-1 manifold im guessin this should be better! if anyone has done this (im guessin lots of people have) i would be interested in knowing if any more parts will be needed cheers

2. g60 pb Forum Member

I know someone who's done it, and clearance is a big proble. He didn't have enough room for any sort of air filter and the trumpets he was running were tiny. I think they were a bit too short.

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep even on an 8v gti it can cause probs,youd need to definately heat wrap the manifold,make some heat shielding,as g60pb says youll possibly need shorter trumpets for the carbs and it all gets complicated with air flow/volume/air speed.
    as 4 other parts,filter socks,in line filter,pressure regulater.
    is it a mk1?
    Edited by: riley

4. Jettin' Forum Member

Biggest problem is clearing the rain tray, as you have a 1.6 driver the servo will probably be the small one (7"), so it will obstruct less into the area that you are concerned about. It is possible depending if you want to use small trumpets, or cut into the raintray.

The carbs will sound better and will give you more power, but on a (I'm guessing) standard 1.6 the carbs on their own will not be incredible. Combine it with some other bits (exhaust, cam, 1.8 bottom end) and you could quite supprised.

5. dubgero New Member

stupid internet not working anyway its a mk 2 not a mk 1 im gonna put a gti cam on it and a 4-1 manifold and am probably going to get it gas flowed out to a 1.8. Is that the largest capacity it can go to or can i go to a 1.9? also is it better to put a mid silencer in and keep the back pressure. bcos its still normally aspirated this should be better for it???? im new to all this technical stuff to thanks to every one thats heled :clap:

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

40s are a waste of time on a 1600...too big for it!

You can only take a 1600 block to 1700 or so without a new crank etc etc, so best off starting with an 1800 or even 2L 3A Audi bottom end & working with that!.

To make the most of any mods you want to reduce the back pressure in the exhaust. This is why most aftermarket systems are a "straight thru" design!

7. Jettin' Forum Member

40's would work on a 1.6 as long as they jetted on a RR. I have seen quite a few small engine cars that run twin 40's, admitedly they do rev quite high though.

Best bet would be to get 1.8 and a cam for it, should be able to pick both of these up for cheap.

8. dubgero New Member

i have a gti engine the gear box is knackered on it though [xx(] is it easy to just put the bottom end of it onto the 1.6? the gti engine is all working so i can use parts of that if they can help? i was going to use the gti cam anyway. If only that special lottery ticket would fall into my lap i would just love to buy that s4 engine thats for sale and put it in the rear of my mk2 it would just be so nice :p