1.6 driver to 1.8 8v gti conversion help

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Jackrusher25, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Jackrusher25 New Member

Hi guys, new here but hoping to learn plenty

Basically I’ve recently bought myself a tidy little 1989 1.6 driver ce1, it’s off the road at the moment and I was thinking of swapping it out with the 8v gti lump, not the most exciting conversion but it’s my first attempt and I’m using it as a learning experience so thought I’d try to keep it a bit easier to start with, can anybody advice me on what goes into this and best way to go about it?

Cheers guys

2. watercooled Forum Member

Unless you already have a motor I would go to a mk3 2.0 2E motor,slightly more power but more importantly improved torque,pretty much the same amount of work,appears in the UK the mk3's rust out badly,buy a rotten or damaged mk3 manual and that supply you will most if not all the parts you need then dump the rest.
    Engine conversions make for a fun car but are time consuming and require good DIY skills,I did a 2.0 (Audi) in my MK2 ,got the complete engine for free,swapped out a dijifant worked head with 276 Techtonics cam,it was a quick wee car.

3. Jackrusher25 New Member

Ok thanks for the heads up mate, I’ll be looking to stick with running carb though as my 1.6 is a ce1 and I don’t want to mess around swapping out the whole loom etc, will this cause an issue?

4. watercooled Forum Member

Your base car limits what you can do,go well and research will be your friend ,cheers.

5. Jackrusher25 New Member

Struggling to find any threads on this particular subject mate lol, I’ll have another looks, cheers