1.6 to 1.8 driver questions

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by adam611, Apr 27, 2010.

1. adam611 Forum Member

Hi folks

I currently have a 1.6 driver and am looking at making it into a 1.8 engine as i have a crank & pistons & carb for it. I know it should have a bigger radiator, driveshafts & clutch but will this really be nessesary or will be able to get away with whats fitted? I want to spend as little as possible as it will be retired from active service once i get the Mk2 GTi restored in a year or so.

I will be fitting 256mm disks and a bigger master cylinder too, just for you saftey concious folks.

Anyways i just want peoples opinions and to see if I have overlooked something that would stop me doing this.:thumbup:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i wouldnt bother with the brakes, 1.6 & 1.8 carb had the same setup anyway. you can use all the 1.6 shafts & box etc if you like, they wont snap or anything. No point spending money on the braking especially, put em on the gti instead!
    the radiator will probably be fine as well, toyotec uses 1.6 rads on turbo conversions without issues!

Have to ask tho, why are you bothering at all? also, you mention crank and pistons, does that mean you're trying to do a cheeky conversion that the insurers wont know about? ;)

3. adam611 Forum Member

Cheers Rubjonny,

I couldnt possibly not tell my insurer if i did it that would be morally wrong for me!!;)

I have some 280mm brakes for the GTi so i was going to put the 256mm ones on the driver, I need to change the fluid anyway as the brakes are shocking at the mo. I want to do it as i have the bits lying about from an 8V passat i broke and i just want a little bit more poke out of the driver for over taking. Plus i have an engine crane at the mo and figured it wouldnt take much more than a day or 2 to do.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sure thing bighgher = better! tho if it was me id add gti discs n pads, bleed n leave it at that. chuck the 256 stuffs on classifieds or ebay or whatever. tho i spose if driver had bigger brakes on may make it easier to sell on...