1.8 GTI Turbo Mods?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Syed Ali, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Syed Ali New Member

ive recently got my self golf 1.8 gti 20v turbo, first time golf owner, in one day i had a full magnex ss system put on, a 57i induction kit, dump valve and superchipped it up. cost me an arm and a leg. i need suggestions for futher mods??? what works well with golfs?

2. cordobabrendy Forum Member

dump valve doesnt work for a start, you will end up losing power and the ecu going into limp mode as the valve is after the air is metered o as far as the ecu is concerned there is a leak somewhere. forge do an aftermarket recirculating valve which is better than the standard item but needs maintaining every so often.
    k&n kit is also a dodgey one if you use any oils on it, this wrecks the maf sensor and isnt cheap to replace. if not it should be fine.

3. Syed Ali New Member

thanks, that kinda confirms what the guy said whilst he was chipping it up. not used any oils on filter, dont really want to get rid of it as it sounds awsome, it is supposed to be a recirculating one but still makes the noise. still no suggestions fo future mods, was thinking of that ecotek valve paired up with a power boost valve, should increase air quantity. good idea/bad idea?

4. The Other Simon Forum Member

VERY BAD IDEA.

Ecotek is another form of air leak that will muck up the ECU.

I'm going to shout. YOU CAR IS NOT STARVED OF AIR. Messing with the air intake is going to do exactly nothing to the power of your engine. Get rid of the induction kit and dump valve - they are robbing you of power.

Go and read this thread for real and useful things you can do if you want to increase the power of your 1.8T

Simon.

5. Syed Ali New Member

anyone wanna buy an 57i induction kit and a dump valve, [:^(]
    ive read the string, nothing really to point me in the right direction. alternatively should i go for the more expensive mods ie front mounted intercooler, uprated manifold to allow for bigger turbo, or nos? just want to get it to about 210 then ill be happy

6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

why rid of the d.v??
    it's a recirc he says, he'll need it if it's been chipped..........

7. WEZ

a remap, exhaust, d.v and induction kit should see 210hp abouts.

where was it chipped?

8. Syed Ali New Member

ric speed in stockport, it was the only superchips distributor listed around manchester. is there somewhere else thats better, i got 30bhp from the chip sounds o.k. someone explain to me what ECU limp mode means? yes its a reciculating dumpvalve but it stills vents some of the air is that right?

9. WEZ

limp mode is basically what your ecu goes into if there is a problem, i think i'm right in thinking it either limits boost or it limits revs?
    anyway, whatever it does, your car goes slow (limps).

typically caused when you install a dump to atmospehere bov, instead of a recirc, this is as the maf sensor expects air to be recirculated back in......

as far as superchips goes, you'd get better results with a jabbasport chip, apr chip, revotechnik diagnostic port software, gains are around the 50bhp mark.....

10. Syed Ali New Member

oh testicles, you teeling me ive just blown 4 ton on a poo chip, what about the filter and dumpvaleve leave on or take off, would a remap at jabbasport cost me the full amount again or is it a simple matter of fine tuning what ive already got?

11. Syed Ali New Member

testicles

12. Syed Ali New Member

the f**k it dosent let you type Bo**ocks

13. mark Forum Member

also try the uk-mkivs forum here there will be more peeps with a mk4 turbo there.

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

The 'usual' modifications for the 1.8T are:

Exhaust - Milltek cat-back/turbo-back, downpipe
    Uprated DV - Forge Motorsport FMCL007P/A
    TIP - (Turbo Inlet Pipe) Samco
    CAI - (Cold Air Intake) Evo, Carbonio, Dynatwist (or just fit a K+N panel filter)
    Remap - Jabba, Revo, AMD...

Might have missed something there and some aren't to everyone's taste but generally, thats what people do to 1.8T's. You might want to get your car hooked up to a 1552 machine at your dealer to see it it has any sporadic fault code (and fault codes in general) regarding the Air Mass Meter, as these often fail on these engines and cause a stuttering at 3000rpm usually, if one has gone.

What year is your car?
    Earlier 1.8T's with non drive-by-wire can only produce upto and around 200bhp, later drive-by-wire cars can produce between 220-230bhp.

The next stage depending on what turbo you have fitted (K03/K03S) is to fit the K03S turbo, which will give in the region of 250bhp. Best to also fit a FMIC at list stage due to the greater possibilty of heat soak. A high flow cat will possibly be required at this stage too.

Stage after that would be an IHI Turbo Upgrade for a few grand from the likes of Jabbasport.

Hope that helps.

15. Mikedav Forum Member

MK1 Driver has said all there is to say really!

Just to add, by all accounts Superchips are a reliable lot but there are more 'MK4 focussed' tuners out there offering higher gains from their remaps. Revo, Jabba and APR are all well respected - the best route depends on what 1.8T you have (be it 150 or 180BHP, DBW or non DBW, etc). Im not fully clued up on 1.8T so speak to the MKIV forum for all the info you could ever need.

As regards induction, it seems the stock airbox on the MKIV is very good at what it does - although Ive heard different stories, most say keep standard with a quality filter in there. As has been said, oiled filters screw up the MAF.
    Edited by: Mikedav

16. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Just to add, you can use a dump valve on a vw/audi 20vt engine.

You can fit one in the cold side intercooler pipe (before the throttle body) a-la cosworth style.

Bailey do one..........if you have to have the noise.

17. jc.. Forum Member

IHI roller bearing turbo...Jabba?

18. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

19. Syed Ali New Member

thanks for all the info, gonna get rid of the induction and put the old box back and take off the dump valve. as ive been told my ecu goes into limp-o mode otherwise. gonna save my money for R32/V6 4Motion then mod the hell out of that!!