1.8 PB high idle

Discussion in '8-valve' started by borax, Jun 17, 2015.

1. borax Forum Member

I have a standard 1990 1.8 PB Gti. It currently idles around 1000rpm, this does it when hot or cold. IS this too high, it seems so. The idle screw is wound all the way in, i have also tried another throttle body. When at idle the accelerator cable is loose. I have check for air leaks, and cleaned out the ISV. and all the pipework into it. It has also had a new bung on top of the rocker cover, rocker cover gasket.
    Maybe this is the correct RPM but it seems too high?

Anyway, none of ths has helped, anyone any ideas??

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  2. borax Forum Member

probably best to ignore me on this one. I have just tried the thing where you remove the blue temp sender and rev the engine, this seems to have fixed it! I did do it last week but it had no effect. Anyways, i hope you enjoyed reading this, stay tuned for more

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. borax Forum Member

cheers for that, will work my way through it. Yes, idle screw is all the way in, idle is now between 840 - 900, so maybe something is still afoot?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

may be worth changing the oring on the idle screw, and just go over all the vac pipes, hoses seals etc in general lookin for leaks :)

once you're happy check ignition timing and adjust the idle again if need be