1.8 Turbo power

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by minzer, Jun 20, 2004.

1. minzer New Member

[:s]

I recently bought a 1.8t golf gti. The problem i have is on occasions when i accelerate, the engine hesitates, and loses power like ithas been stalled, and then power delivery is as usual. As expected, the VW garage wanted my wages to tell me what the problem is so i politely told them to stuff it! I have spoken to some mechanics i know, and it has been suggested the air flow sensor may be faulty, and this does sometimes does not show on diagnosis check. The coil pack has been replaced, so this cannot be the fault.

Any ideas anyone?

2. 800gallons Forum Member

dumpvalve?

3. minzer New Member

No. I had one on for the weekend, but after reading some of the info on here, i took it off. I spoke to demon tweeks, and there is only 1 d/valve for the VAG engines and its 300. The problem was there before i put on though.

4. madmk4 Forum Member

Sounds like you've been talking to someone people that have no idea..

Theres a forge recirculating one thats been approved by VAG as a SILENT recirc replacement..

Whats on the car now ?

there is a dumpvalve of sorts on the car as standard.

5. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

the forge is silent?

how pooe- altho the one i heard on a leon cupra isn't- by a long way lol! :p

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

MAF failure is common on these cars as ie the OE Dump valve (recirculating one)
    SPlits and leaks boost...

Chances are erratic performance is one or the other (or both) related.

Forge DV007P is a good alternative if considering replacement. No extra power, but less lag between gear changes.

bill

7. minzer New Member

do you rekon this could be the fault? It was like it before i put the dump valve on, but i cant say i had a problem with the dump valve on. It didnt idle very well, but i cant say i had the problem. It is intermittent in that i can pull away from a junction and change from 1st to second, and i get the problem - it feels like the engine died for a 10th of a second - and then it is fine but it will do it at the next junction, but wont do it for the rest of the journey?

I really am baffled.