1.8T 180 starting noise?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Blair, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Blair New Member

I looked at a lovely 2002 1.8T 180 the other day - it looked pretty much faultless, in excellent condition. No marks, no kerbing to the wheels.

However, a couple of things I need to follow up on as I've never really driven a 1.8T 180 before and don't know if this is normal or not?

1. When starting the engine, it sounded like a diesel - really quite "clattery", as soon as the engine fired up (within a split second) it was fine, but the starting noise was not what I expected. Is this normal?

2. Performance - I drive a Corrado G60, which is pretty torquey but also not as refined as the Mk4! The one I drove didn't seem as quick as I'd expect, although of course perhaps I wasn't winding up the turbo properly (nailing it in 3rd at 40mph?). I expected more, but as I say, maybe I should have let the turbo spin up before expecting too much?

Apart from that it was beautiful - 1 owner, 3 door, bog-standard, the only option being Diamond Black. Seemed a fair enough price too. Quite tempted but I wanted to check out the above two questions first...

Any input gratefully received :)

2. GEORGEmk1valver Forum Member

its a typical problem on all mk4 1.8t with the starter noise... my mate told me this, he isa car trader and said about 80% of them sound like the starter is fecked!...

3. Blair New Member

Cheers :)

Last night my mate popped round in his Leon Cupra, realising it's exactly the same engine I asked him if his did it - went outside and listened and yeah, same clattery starter. Oh well - it's only for a split second at the start of each journey, I can live with that :)

4. Guests Banned

its the way they start.....just waiting for oil pressure to rise. Most of the noise is from the tappets....