1.8T Coilpacks

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by trialsy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. trialsy Forum Member

hi there,

does anybody know what the difference is between the 3 and 4 pin coilpacks?

cheers in advance

2. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

The ammount of wires that go to them i guess!

What are you trying to do?

3. trialsy Forum Member

Wire the coil packs into a haltech ECU.

1 - +ve
    2 - -ve
    3 - Trigger (I guess)
    4 - ??

Just wondering what number 4 is normally used for, and whether it needs an input of some description for the coil pack to work. Jabba have never used 4 wire coil packs before, so they don't know the answer.
    Edited by: trialsy

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Are these VW/Audi coilpacks? If so I get look at the wiring diagrams for you tonight after work if you can wait?

5. mk2_20VT Forum Member

The 4 pin coils have internal amps while the 3 pin ones need an external
    amp (either in the ECU or beween the ECU and Coil). If your ECU has internal
    amps (most do these days) then there is no way you can drive these coils. If
    it doesnt then your in luck and should be able to use them. If you do need to
    switch to the 3 pin coils and your engine originally came with 4 pin ones
    then you will also need to change the cam cover for an AGU one or similar. I
    used the QPE PnP kit for both the conversions i have done as it will drive
    either type, you just need to specify which you have when ordering. It also
    saved spending days trying to work out which wires went where!.

6. alackofspeed Forum Member

I'm working with Trialsy on his engine install.........

From what I can establish from the Haltech ECU manual, and a quick look on the Haltech website, it seems the Haltech ECU does not output an amplified signal. I spoke to another chap using the same ECU on an AGU engine (fitted with the bolt down 3 wire coil packs) a while back, and whilst my questions weren't specifically about the ignition system (because at the time it wasn't really an issue - like it is now...), I'm pretty sure he said something about usingthe original(??)amplifier to drive the coils.

Assuming that the Haltech ECU doesn't have a built in amplifier, does anyone know what the inputs are to the coilpack?? We don't! :lol:[:$]

I presume there's a constant positive and negative feed, but to what the other inputs should be connected, is a complete mystery!

Edited by: alackofspeed

7. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Just done a bit for reading. It seems the extra wire on the 4 wire coil packs is just an earth.

Refer to the following PDFs for the wiring diagrams.

AGU Ignition
    AUQ Ignition

You can see the extra ignition amplifier is refered to as the "output stage for ignition coils (N122))

This unit looks very much like the transistorised ignition amplifer that sits in the drip tray on Trialsy's golf.
    On an AGU engine its is located on the side of the airbox. Let me know if you want me to take a picture of mine for clarity.

Hope that helps.

8. alackofspeed Forum Member

Spot on-not only have you assisted with the coil pack question, but I suspect you've made wiring the other sensors much easier too! :clap:

9. A_N_Other Forum Member

Also bear in mind the cam covers are different between the 3 pin coils and the 4 pin coils.
    4 pin ones push in, and have a retaining cover.
    3 pin ones are secured directly to the cam cover each and spring out if not fastened down.

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Check first tho as some engines have the drillings for the bolts to hold the 3 pin coils and some don't. You might get lucky.