1.8T diverter flutter

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by harry_the_cake, Feb 3, 2004.

1. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

The diverter valve on my Audi makes a fluttering sound as it diverts air back into the inlet.

Is this correct, or is the diaphragm f**ked in the valve?
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

2. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I would think your DV is f**ked, the earlier plastic diaphragm type DV's are prone to breaking, I think they are about 20-25 to replace with another plastic one.

You could always replace it with an N75 valve from the TT as this is metal and instead of it using a diaphragm the TT N75 has a piston.

If you wanted, you could try using a Forge Motorsport 006 or 007 DV (metal piston) but I have heard that they can give problems on some VW's, not sure what the usual Audi route is.

3. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Okay doke, I'll pull it off the car then and have a look at it.

BTW, the N75 valve is separate to the diverter valve. The N75 controls the waste gate. I have one fitted already as standard (granted not the J version from a TT).

So what noises do everyones diverters make?

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Oh right [:$]

I dont check any of the Audi forums so I'm not sure if you would come across any problems if you were to fit a Forge Motorsport DV, there's two avaliable and for the money people usually opt for the 007.

I think it's AMD or another company that do an adjustable one, I'm not sure about the pro's and con's of these either [:s]

Depending on how much you have to spend, i wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with just fitting it with another plastic diaphragm one. If you look on some Audi forums they might say that the Forge item is perfectly OK....

With regards to what noise the standard item does on my bro's Mk4... it's pretty similar to that of a short 'tiisssh' of a B.O.V apart from it being slightly muted as it doesn't get released into the atmos. (If you get what I mean [:$] )

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Cool. Thats perfect. I thought it was supposed to be a "tisssssh" rather than a "ft-t-t-t-t-t" :lol:

I'll just chuck an Audi TT OEM jobbie on. The car isn't chipped (yet) so it should be fine.

Ta.

6. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

hehehe, I think the one on my bro's is starting to flutter a bit now, what with all the extra power on tap :lol:

Seems healthy enough at mo though, just the odd few times it flutters a bit [:s] maybe when it's only at a light boost?

I think he'll be getting the Brembo's on before the uprated DV [:D] which I need to do some homework for to see which DV works best on a non dbw engine [:-B]

7. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Mine was doing the same, so I replaced it with a Grp A recirculating dump valve. It's the twin piston Viper, from Turbo Dynamics, not had any problems since fitting it!

Alan

8. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Should be sorted at the weekend. I've ordered a Forge piston jobbie from http://www.jbrperformance.co.uk/

They're doing a special on them at the mo. Should have it on Friday with any luck :thumbup:

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That fluttering sound is cool!! :lol:

My mate's old mk4 used to do it[:D]

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Yeah, deffo sounds cool :thumbup: , but bad for fuel economy and holding boost [:^(]