1.8T engine in a 2.0 MK4???

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by NDGTi, Feb 15, 2005.

1. NDGTi Forum Member

Might seem like a stupid question..As you might know my 1.8T Gti was written off and out of sheer desperation and two months looking for a Mk4 with low miles I came accross a V reg 2.0 ( non turbo)I'm happy with it on the whole but miss the feel of a turbo.my question is, how difficult is it to put a 1.8T engine in and how much would it cost overall, approx? [:s]

2. Seraph Banned

good question? imagine it would be more straight forward than conversions into mk2s. Perhaps ring around couple of the tuners doin 20vt conversions.
    Other option is to break the 20vt, and turbo the 2.0l?

3. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Ask Voodoo maybe? drop them a mail...

4. NDGTi Forum Member

Cheers, any phone numbers or website addresses?? I spoke to a motorsport Co.,and I got put off as it sounded lots of work and the Revo Technik option yielded a wimpy 12 BHP extra for 500!!!! So either of the options you've mentioned sound a good idea. I'm really happy with the car itself but previously have owned a V6, VR6 and GTi T, so its a bit of a shock having an engine this size without the push. Any idea on prices? [:D]

5. Seraph Banned

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

is it really that difficult to find a 1.8T in as good condition? [:s]

it would be far cheaper to sell it and buy a 1.8T for a little bit more, surely?

7. Jeff Forum Junkie

or splash out and buy a v6 / r32 - if you're a v6 man you will know that theres no replacement for displacement :p

<dons flame suit> :lol:

8. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

9. Seraph Banned

think i may have misundastood ndgti[:s]
    are you saying you dont have the damaged 20vt? Thats what i assumed you meant, thus you'd have the engine ready for transplant...
    If you havnt, expect something like 2k for the parts or 4k for total job. i fear jeff is right in his suggestion.

10. NDGTi Forum Member

Yes , probably cheaper to sell it- though, I've only just got it! The derisory sum the insurance company gave me for my write-off 1.8T wasn't great so all that came up was the 2.0 Gti which was a good price. V6s seem to be going at a more reasonable price over the last six months so maybe return to what I know best!

11. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Yeah best to sell it and buy the car you want.

Itll cost you too much time/effort to convert a 2.0 to a 1.8vt, and then youll have trouble selling it, who would want to buy a converted car when they can buy the original thing built by VW?

12. NDGTi Forum Member

...Autotrader I think [:s]

13. Jeff Forum Junkie

you know it makes sense! ;)

14. NDGTi Forum Member

Still looking to sell the "slug" as my friends have named her! (2.0 mk4 GTi a,ha,ha..hundred and TEN BHP)

Okay so I've hit the Autotrader pages and am btween 3 cars. 1.8T GTi 180BHP, 1.8T GTi 150BHP, Vr6. I really like the Vr6 but my last one was a greeedy PIG! Though, my mileages have cut down considerably.

I found the 1.8T Gti has a lot to offer but on the motorway I was often in the way so the Vr6 and V6 had way more torque.

Are Vr6s generally THAT greedy?? Mine was doing 17-24 mpg. [:s]

15. Seraph Banned

That much! :o ;)

16. NDGTi Forum Member

24 on a really good day but on motorways I was constantly stopping to refuel![:s] [:s]