1.8t lag

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by popeye, Jun 10, 2005.

1. popeye Forum Member

hi guys (and girls ;) )

can some one help me out? i got a 1.8t A3, when i accelerate in any gear there seems to be a pause of a second or so before the power is put down! the engine idle also changes between 850 and 950 revs! what could be causing this?? i've taken the MAF sensor out and cleaned it (in petrol :thumbup: :thumbd: ) but that hasn't worked!

hope some one can help

cheers in advance

2. popeye Forum Member

when the engine is idling, if i give it some gas then let off the revs drop to 500 then rise to 1000 before returning to 850-950, this can't be normal can it??

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Do the revs drop like that when the engine has just been started or when it's fully up to temp? I think either way it might be a duff sensor of some sort or maybe a leak? Have a look for fault codes if you can.

What age is the car? If it a 2000 onwards then the 'lag' that you might be feeling could well be the short lack of response from the Fly-By-Wire controls.

4. popeye Forum Member

no it a 1997. if i disconnect the MAF sensor, the idle becomes constant at 900 revs. so yeah, a duf sensor would be right! cheers for that. now all i have to do is get the 70 needed to buy a new one [:^(]