1.8T or 2.8VR6

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Mowza, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Mowza New Member

I've just sold my mk3 G.T.I and i am going to buy a mk3 VR6 or a mk4 1.8T but i'm wondering what would be fastest top end and if there is much difference in take off between them if they were both standard?

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

Welcome to the forum :)
    I think the Mk4 1.8T gives 150bhp, where as the MK3 VR6 gives about 180. Coupled with the fat frontal area of the Mk4, the VR6 will have more top end.
    Wouldn't bother about top end to be honest though, in how many situations will you benefit from having a car that'll do say, 140 as opposed to 130?
    The Mk3 should handle better as well, and is considerably less lardy. All depends what you want really.

3. Freerider New Member

Get a Mk3 Seat Ibiza 1.8 Turbo and then you have more fun than a Golf any day :)

4. Mowza New Member

Cheers but i've set my mind on a golf.
    When i chip my 1.8T or VR6 will the 1.8T get a bigger %BHP gain than the VR6? Does anyone know of any figures I.E how much of a gain i'd get in hp?

5. ColinT Forum Member

I fitted an AMD chip to my VR and got 7bhp (+ a pretty good increase in low doen torque).

With a turbo'd motor you'ld expect 30bhp increase at least.

6. Carl S Forum Member

I used to have a 1.8T Mk4 GTI, it was one of the nicest cars I've owned. If you are using this every day then the ride in the Mk4 is fantastic, and the cabin is in a different class to the mk3. But then it is a lot more money than a VR6...

1.8T's can be made to handle better without compromising the ride, and made to go faster comparatively cheaply by modifying the ECU. The only reason I'd consider the VR6 is the sound of the engine, turbo's lack that certain "soul" of a V6 or V8.