1.8t remap?

Discussion in 'TSR Performance' started by Bluestorm, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Bluestorm New Member

Hi, just recently bought a mkiv gti 1.8t (150 bhp) was looking into a remap to around 190bhp,only trouble is car has done 124,000 just had cambelt waterpump and a service done, is it too much to ask of the engine? Many thanks, Danny.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

provided its been looked after, itll take it just fine. if its been looked after, its only just run in

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

It'll be fine.

4. LazyLunatic Forum Member

should be fine. whats the engine code and year?

might be able to push more than 190bhp...

if your thinking about an exhaust, etc, get it done before the map :thumbup:

5. Dub_Dan Forum Member

put some money by for some new coilpacks just in case.:)

6. Bluestorm New Member

It has a full service history so should be ok, runs really quiet and smooth.
    engine num: aug134557
    year 2000

not sure about an exhaust yet probably will eventually but will probably be an understated twin pipe nothing too big or flashy, wouldnt mind standard one off a mkv gti to be honest.

It's had air box removed and green cotton filter fitted and a bailey dump valve

Looks like i will go ahead with it then. Wheres best place to take it? I'm based in west yorkshire but distance isn't an issue i'd rather take it to a decent outfit.

Cheers, Danny.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Forum Member

It's not the engine that'll struggle to produce the power.....it's the tiny turbo vw have put on it :)

If it's a '2000' then it's probably the AGU engine with the KO3 turbo and you'll struggle to get much more than 190bhp out of it without upgrading to the KO3s turbo found on the later engines, AUM for example. Mine is a 1999 AGU and has a Revo stage 1 remap, Carbonio cold air induction kit and a forge 007p divertor valve (recommended to be fitted before any remap), and mine is running around the 180-185bhp mark. Just be weary of people quoting high remap figures on this engine, mines quick enough for me though :)

As for coilpacks.....on the AGU they're meant to be pretty bulletproof not suffering so often with the failures of the later ones (so I've been told) and mine have been fine

8. Bluestorm New Member

Cheers that's useful info. To be honest 180 -190 bhp is fine for me too.
    Still not sure where to take it? What sort of cost? Cheers, Danny.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

a friend of mine has taken his a3 to rtech in leicester and has nothing by praise for them and ive been reading good things about them on the audi boards too.

the torque plot produced by his car is very good indeed for a 20vt. a lot of companies make them stupidly peaky etc

10. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Forum Member

11. TSR Performance Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hi,

We use revo software which we have found to be the best after trying a few. Do you know if your car is a cable throttle or drive by wire? most of the drive by wire cars will give as said 180-190bhp but the cable throttle cars always produce less and only seem to make around 175bhp ( This is just from the ones we have tested). A revo for a DBW car is 349. As already said the car should be fine with the mileage just the coilpacks may go pop.

12. Bluestorm New Member

Ahh crap mine is cable by looks of it! Any cheaper than the DBW to do?

13. TSR Performance Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

299 instead