1.9 & 2.1 - can parts be combined?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jettadan, May 22, 2010.

1. jettadan Forum Member

A few years ago i had the following engine built from a G60 block and a crossflow head:

Block bored to 83mm and fitted with 83mm JE pistons
    Crankshaft counter balance weights lightened & assembly balanced
    G60 conrods balanced end over end
    Pistons balanced
    Flywheel lightened
    ACL bearings fitted
    Block decked to correct squish
    Head gas flowed and fitted with 36mm exhaust valves
    Bespoke camshaft lift .405 duration, .280 timing 30/70 70/30
    Cylinder head face machined to 8.5:1 compression ratio
    Turbo drain to sump
    Unit assembled for competition use

This was designed to be used in conjunction with a T3 turbo i had and an original Turbo Technics manifold. I've since got hold of a bigger T3/4 turbo which is capable of producing much more power. I'm planning on getting hold of a tubular manifold to go with it.

I've now got the original engine out of my Jetta going spare, which is a TSR 2.1 Silverstone engine (2043cc), blurb i've found says:

Our 'torque monster'! A longer stroke crankshaft takes the 8V engine to its capacity limit.......
    TSR bore and build kit
    You bore your original engine to either 83.00mm for a 19000cc conversion or 82.51mm for a 2000cc conversion (extra capacity is provided by a longer stroke crank). We then supply the folowing parts for you to complete the conversion. KS or Mahle pistons, KS bearings........ 2000cc conversions are also supplied with a balanced crankshaft.

What i'd like to know is, can the crankshaft from the 2.1 be fitted to the 1.9 to increase the capacity? The 1.9 runs the standard G60 rods and i'm unsure if they will be up to the possible increase in power with the new turbo. If i got new ones with the right length etc, would this enable me to use all the parts together, or has the 83mm bore ruled that out?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.:thumbup:

2. danster Forum Addict

Fitting the diesel crank 95.5mm in a short block will probably require a lot of effort clearancing various bits and pieces, and give a poor rod angle into the bargain. Never mind the problem of losing the extra stroke too. G60 conrods are shorter (136mmIIRC) than the normal 144mm short block type exacerbating the rod angle too.
    Probably be better off just using a tall block as a base. 2E, ABF or you could even use the diesel block and get it bored. At least the crank fits the block! Head studs are a different thread though. Choice of conrods for the tall block allowing 95.5mm crank to be used with small block 20mm gudgeon pin pistons too (lower deck height to compensate for increased stroke).
    Bit of a hybrid you are planning to build but doable never the less. After all your work on the Jetta I am sure you could apply yourself to the task and work it out though.:thumbup:

3. jettadan Forum Member

Is the diesel crank a long stroke one? You rekon thats what TSR use? I can't find any info/spec on it anywhere.

Ideally i'd like to stick with the G60 block thats already been bored to 83mm and use the JE pistons, as they cost me !!! The crossflow head was modified to fit the G60 block (are they a 'short' block?) and as that also cost me don't really want to go messing with that either!

It was just a thought that if the long stroke crank could be put into the G60 block (i'm sure that the block its currently in is a Digifant block and not a tall block) using the right rods, i'd be able to build a bit of a monster with mainly bits i've already got (bar the correct rods).

If its not possible, it'll have to be the 1.9 but with a tubular manifold and the big turbo and fingers crossed that the G60 rods hold!

4. danster Forum Addict

If your G60 block is a 1900 it will still have an 86mm stroke crank in it (std 1.8 GTI or G60).
    Some folk have fitted the 2.0 petrol crank (92.8mm stroke) into the short block but this needs parts relieved to fit. Trying to fit a diesel 95.5mm stroke crank in is even more of an ask.
    If increasing the stroke by a crank swap and not altering the rod length or piston compression height, the pistons will come out the top of the block 1/2 the difference between the original and new cranks strokes.
    You are pretty much stuck with what you have really as any change will involve new bits or machining.
    Just be chuffed you got two good engines I suppose!:thumbup: