1.9 8v Rebuild in progress

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Mike_H, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got a 1900 8v (originally a C&R one) that I'm rebuilding to go in the 'sensible scirocco', along with a ported 40/35 head and 272 cam, and a 'rare' Hotgolf flywheel.

I previously ran this engine (just the bottom end of it) in my 8v digifant golf, and it didn't show any problems with oil usage, smoke, or anything else... it possibly pinked a bit, with a standard head on it.

I'd probably do a 16v conversion on it, except I've got all these bits lying around....

Got a couple of things on my mind...

1. I think the rear crank seal (the one in the aluminium plate) could do with replacing, although the clutch wasn't oily that came off of it... it might just be seeping a little.

What are the options for buying these - can they be pressed into the plate reliably, or is it better to buy the whole assembly? The seal from GSF is less than a tenner, I think the assembly from VW will be a good bit more ;)

2. The bores look fine, but I might strip the bottom end and check the bearings. If they're ok, I'll leave them alone, as I don't want to tighten it all up and run it in, unless I really have to.
    - Can the con-rod bolts be had from anywhere other than VW, as they want 6 a go
    - Are the main bearing bolts stretch bolts too? Tim Stiles book suggests it's just the con-rods which need to be replaced. What's the spec of the main bolts (I'll see if my local fastener supplier can help).

3. The head that's going on was originally a digifant head, but is going on a Kjet car (unless I do a megasquirt conversion first). I know I'll need to change the injector seats, and block up the vacuum pipe on the back, but are there any other issues to worry about?

Answers on a postcard, or just use the forum and save a stamp.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

1 in the past i have used the gsf seal and fitted to gaskets to give the lip of the seal a new section of crank to seal against.

2 the mains are 10.9's i think, but your local fastner place will be much cheaper, this is what i did with my engine. conrod bolts are a pain and vw only AFAIK.

3 not that i know of, swap the seals and block it up, is it a hyd head?

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's a Hydraulic Head, yes. It's the head I originally had built by Bill Blydenstein, from a brand new casting, and reworked by The Man In The Shed, after that 2.0 8v Engine blew up.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

You mean 2 gaskets?

How did you fit the seal into the Ally housing - by eye? Gentle Squeeze in a Vice? ...or a proper press?

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

yes two gaskets, when you remove it you will see a groove in the crank, gentle press in the vice between two bits of wood bigger than the seal itself to even out the press.