'12 GTD || Ignition Lock Problems

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by GG., Jul 14, 2015.

1. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Evening gentleman!

The subject is a '12 mk6 GTD manual

As the title above states I'm having major problems with the ignition lock on my mk6. Ever since I got the car, 2 months ago the ignition key has been hard to turn back from the on position. It took some force to switch the engine off. I thought that this was due to lack of lubrication in the ignition barrel. I applied some graphite powder to the key and lock, and it got a bit better. Just a tiny bit. There were no problems with inserting the key or turning it clockwise to start the car. The problem has always been turning the key from ON to 0.

Today, the key refused to turn back no matter what. I drove it home, sat there idling for half an hour trying everything to turn the car off. I tried wiggling the key, pushing & pulling on it, turning the steering wheel side to side, everything that I could think of. The key wouldn't budge. Scared to break the key fob, I intentionally stalled the car and disconnected the battery. I locked the doors manually with the second key.

So, I'm not able to turn the engine on, as I can't return the key to 0 position, to be able to restart the car. I'm getting it on a flatbed tomorrow and off to the dealership.

Has anybody encountered anything like this on a mk6 or any related VW of this vintage? I'm guessing the ignition lock cylinder is fecked, right? So the dealership is the only way?... Any idea on the approximate price of the ignition cylinder? The car is out of warranty, so I'm being cautious as I don't really trust the dealership.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Sounds like a dealership or competent locksmith is required.

3. GG.

GG. Forum Member

To anybody experiencing the same symptoms:

Just heard back from the dealership. The lock cylinder is fine, it's the steering lock that has failed.

If I understand correctly it's part #4 in this diagram

[​IMG]

Part # 1K0905851B
    Cost 95Eur + labour

Not that bad :thumbup: