1300 16v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by phil21191, May 18, 2013.

1. phil21191 Forum Member

Evening chaps, need to pick your brains a little.

I got rid of my 1300 mk2 a few months ago due to financial issues and had pretty much decided on something Jap with a turbo once I'm back on my feet again, however I miss my golf far too much and need another mk2 on my life.

Now I want something a little different from a gti/20vt/abf conversion and want a revvy small block, lairy cams and carbs or ITBs.

At the moment I'm just though gathering, so the best starting point would be a HK (Solid lifters?) with a rebore and 77mm? pistons or a GL/KZ with a similar config giving a hugely oversquare engine 77/59mm.

Looking over various sources in the past I think I remember reading that a 16v polo (AFH?) head fits on the 2G/HK block or am I wrong? If so is there a 16v that can be used on a 1272 engine?

I'm not after chasing headline figures but want something that is going to put a huge smile on my face and be something a little different from the norm.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

for a straight swap (sort of) there is a 1400 16V as used in many polo based cars from 2002'ish to new - just keep away from anything that's FSI based

engine had an ECU which achieved 100BHP from the factory

3. phil21191 Forum Member

I knew that it would be a simple swap with an 1400 16v as they're all EA111 engines. However, I want something a) a little different and b) I have some attachment to the 1272 lump as my took hellish amounts of abuse for 20000 miles and never let me down in anyway

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I haven't heard of it being done, but by the law of averages, someone may have tried.

Not having much direct experience of the engines involved, if I was going to look at this I'd be trying to get hold of the relevant block and head to see if they have the same gasket pattern. If that's the case, there's a decent chance it'll physically fit, but that's not the end of it - for example...

- Are the head bolts the same thread? Does the 1272 block offer enough thread depth for the 16v head bolt?
    - Are the cambelt pulleys the same width and tooth spacing? If not, you'll need to figure out a combination of bits that works
    - How does the CC of the 16v head compare with the 8v one? It's likely to be larger, so you're going to be doing some serious work to get the engine to the right compression ratio - either changing pistons, and maybe rods, or skimming chunks of metal off of the mating faces.
    - You'll need to do dummy builds and check clearances too.

All of the above may get you to something that works, but won't be enough to get something that's optimised, or maybe even works well.

Sorry to be pointing out more questions than answers. There maybe someone (on a polo forum, for example) who's done all this before, but it's not a common conversion on here, and unless someone else has figured out the details already, you're going to have to look into a lot of details on the way.

It would be cool if it worked though, but ultimately you'll spend a lot of time, money and effort to build something that makes less power and uses more fuel than a stock KR or ABF.

5. phil21191 Forum Member

All things I have considered and the reason for this thread in the first place.

A lot of the ideas/inspiration have come from reading some threads regarding the Burg Cup and Sorg motorsport engines. Ultimately if I manage to build something that produces the same power as a stock KR or ABF then I'm happy.

I'll start trawling through ETKA for now until I can get my hands on a block and head to start testing fitments unless anyone else can offer anything on Berg Cup style 1300s

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

the block casting are very similar, I have a couple 1L ally blocks one needs a head I was thinking about 16V head, just waiting unit I come across a knackered one for test fitting

7. mark25 Forum Junkie

Lot's of info on the german polo forums, they're much more into the 10,000 rpm small blocks over there.

8. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

The AFH head is the better choice than the later item.

The 10,000 rpm Polo engines use motorbike heads