15''-7'' et18 rims for trackdays?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by 16v185, Jul 3, 2008.

1. 16v185 Forum Member

Hello all, any reason why these wheels (clearance issues excepted) would be detrimental to handling on a Mk1 (running gaz gold coilovers/ r888). Best regards Chris

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

i think you will get rubbage on the arches if you are too low

3. gillm

gillm ***** User

et seems too much to me . i get a slight rub on track with 15"/7" et 35

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

lower offsets could put more strain on wheel bearings too as there load is further away from the hub face.

5. Mikey C Forum Member

i ran 15" x 7" x et13 with 195 45 on a track car - ride height was set so wishbones were level. No problems on track with clearance, did get rubbage with rear passengers.

handled very nicely i thought, my wheel bearing lasted too. But i never ran that car with any other wheels and it was only on the road for a year.

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

ditto, i ran mine on 15s with et28 and i got no rubging on track and it was on rails! but i wouldnt want to go any wider,

7. 16v185 Forum Member

Thank you Gents for your input.....i'm not to worried about clearance as the old girl is a trackday car only....and if mr grinder comes out then so be it! My main concern is turning up to Brands on the 11/08 for one of the few outings this year and trying the ET 18 wheels and finding out it handles like a stuck pig!!!! Very best regards Chris

8. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2hrbY_Cfb8 is of my Mk2 Scirocco (same base as a mk1 Golf really) with 7x15" ET20. You can hear the rubbage on some of the corners. This was before the Gaz Gold suspension though...