15" or 16" on Mk2 golf, BBS RS

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Mjj4, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mjj4 Forum Member

As the title really, what's your opinion on the best size wheels for a mk2? I have a set of 15" BBS RS070 but don't want to spend loads on radinox dishes etc and then realise I have to have the car too low to look good and that I should have bought 16s and refurbed those instead.

What are your thoughts? Pics welcome :)

2. benjifou666 New Member

15'' if car slammed but 16'' would look good. personally tho id go with the 15'' cos i think they generally look better, others may disagree tho :)

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Mrblue has 16's on his and it looks AMAZING!

Would 16's fit over 312mm brakes?

4. dub303 Forum Member

I prefer 15" slammed or not. Unless they have plenty of dish, then I see your point about wanting to slam it.

I'd decide how low you want it first then go from there. Standard width 15" for fun, slammed and whatever for looks.

5. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks for the replies! I want minimal arch gap and want to run 8's and 8.5's ish (as a rough guess) but dont want to destroy the bottom of the car by having it unpractically low as i'm doing a full chassis resto and it will pain me to think the hours i spend on the underneath are getting destroyed! Decisions decisions! Also 16s will help me a tiny bit on gearbox ratios as im using an 02m 6 speed from a mk4 golf and they have far bigger rolling diameter. Hmmmmm!!

6. vwp6n Forum Member

would say 16" on big bumpers and 15" on small bumpers, all depends on what look you prefer.

here is my car on 15" BBS RM's then on 16" hartge wheels. i think its better on the 16" wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now with 16" RS's

[​IMG]

Hope the helps makes your decision.

7. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks for your input vwp6n, i think that has made the decision, sell the 15's and get a set of 16's to refurb/radinox up to the spec i want. I don't think i'll be entirely happy with 15's and might regret it when i spend loads on them and park next to someone with 16" RS's. Do you mind me asking what RS you are running now?

Oh and your car was by far my favourite car at ED38 2012 !! Just perfect :thumbup:

8. vwp6n Forum Member

Thanks for the nice comments.

I can't remember the bbs number off the top of my head but there originally off a BMW that were 5x120 then redrilled to 4x100. There 8x16 et20 back and 7.5x16 et25 front.

9. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Be carefull when selecting 16" BBS for your Mk2. I've been in the market for a set for the last 3 months and have now given up.
    99/100 16" BBS to fit a Mk2 will be welded up and redrilled which for me is a nogo. I got offered a set not long ago with the 5 holes "plugged" then 4 x100 drilled. Although the seller had run with the plugs for 18 months with no issues it still put me off.
    Yes, you can run adaptors etc but this puts the ET all over the place and will result in poor handling.
    The only option for a true fit will be RS 003 which are factory 16 x 7, I missed a set on Austrian ebay by a few euro and was gutted. There are sets about fully refurbed on german ebay but they are 2699 euro's (http://www.ebay.de/itm/BBS-RS003-7x...0980980268?pt=Auto_Felgen&hash=item23272aee2c), I asked for a best price on them and that was it! There is another guy in Germany who will custom make a set of 001's for you but again they are coming in at 2400 euro's.
    I have decided to break away from the pack and ditch the BBS look now, just bought a set of Alpina's but I do like the hartge wheels above, never seen them bofore and they look good.
    Good luck in your search.

10. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Here is mine on 15" BBS RM's. ;)

Front 8.5, rears 9.5 :)

[​IMG]

Personally i wouldn't go for anything over 15" on a mk2 now.

11. turnipmuncher Forum Member

I prefer 16" on a rallye with the bigger arches, but Im undecided on a big bumper mk2. Currently I run 15" bbs rm's all round with a radinox 2" lip = 8" rim and it looks great.

12. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

16" all the way. From some angles 15" look abit small

13. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

personally i HATE BBS RS well well well overplayed ,

there are so many lovely wheels out there why oh why follow the pack?

p.s . 16's over 15's all day:thumbup:

fasteddie likes this.
  14. locosaki New Member

I like the look of the Hartge wheels, very tidy.

15. taz00mi New Member

I have 15's for my mk2, but would love a set of 16's

can get the car looking nice without being awkwardly low

16. lard44 Forum Member

Hmmm...16s for looks, 15s for driveability. Having tried various combinations this is what I swear by.

17. Munch471 New Member

Hi, what off set can you use on a Mk2 Golf with 15" wheels?

18. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

repost

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  19. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

What he said ^^^ I run proper performance rims ;)

16" are the way forward for looks and driveability 16" is far better on a higher powered mk2 golf :thumbup: