1500 auto using oil

Discussion in '8-valve' started by tallika_fan, Aug 1, 2008.

1. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

For the last few months i've noticed that the old girl is using more oil, she's always used quite a bit, it's always got new oil in as the early warning notice is usuall going round a corner/roundabout and there is oil starvation, chattering and the light comes on, this settles after the straight, top up with oil, job done.

Anyway, of recent i've noticed that there is blue smoke on acceleration after coasting for a short while, puffs of smoke, then at a stop there is quite a hint of it in the air.

Now the question is, would it be the valve stem seals, or something more sinister?

The car is , 1975, 1500 auto (twin carbs) 40,000 original miles.

Cheers folks.

2. the idiot abroad Forum Member

You could try using forte seal conditioner and see if that helps the valve seals, they may have gone hard with age.

3. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

I shall give that one a go mr idiot, thanks kindly.

Pete

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like a good excuse for an engine swap....

I'm a bit worried about the state of your oil pump, if you're getting pressure warnings. How low is it when it's giving warnings?

At that mileage you shouldn't have piston ring problems, but if it's running too rich (and from your MPG figures it probably is) then you might be having bore wash problems with excessive fuel.

I'd recommend a compression test.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  5. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

Mike, due to it having done bugger all mileage in it's life (40k) i'd imagine some components to have gone past there sell by date.

There is oil on the block, as well as it burning it off so i reckon the pump is just fine, when i can get round to spending some money on this one then i'll get a compression test on it.

The MPG isn't helped by having twin carbs and the auto box so i reckon it's not too bad. I can cope with it, the carbs need the correct jets etc in so hopefully i'll see a slight improvement when that's completed.

Cheers.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Your oil level needs to be pretty low to get warning buzzers from oil surge.

7. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

That's why i stop shortly after to fil back up.

Thing is there isn't a buzzer on mine, just the lights that are obscured by the steering wheel.

I catch it though which is the main thing.

8. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

sure it isnt being dumped through the breather into air box?

9. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

Not being dumped into the airbox, not got one ;)

[​IMG]