1600 gti eg engine noisy tappets when cold

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ivortheengine2, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ivortheengine2 Forum Member

hi guys need advice , when my 1600 starts up it is rough and noisy until it heats up , it reminds me of my mk 2 i had years ago which hydraulic tappets which were noisy on start up. My 16 gti has solid tappets.
    I took off the rocker cover tonight and the followers on which the shims sit , are quite stiff in the head , the rest on cylinders 123 all rotate freely . What can i do with this. I am assuming that when the temp rises in the head the followers rotate more freely.
    advice appreciated .

2. danster Forum Addict

You really need to check the valve clearances are in specifications.

Cold =
    IN- 0.15 to 0.25mm (0.006 to 0.010in)
    EX- 0.35 to 0.45mm (0.014 to 0.018in)

Warm=
    IN- 0.20 to 0.30mm (0.008 to 0.012in)
    EX- 0.40 to 0.50mm (0.016 to 0.020in)

3. ivortheengine2 Forum Member

thanks for responding on start up she sounds like an old mk3 cortina , she is going to mechanic wednesday so hopefully will be sweet again , started to knock when co level reduced back , (leaner) for mot , maybe just coincidental.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I have run many early 16's, and they are a quiet engine, when fit. If yours is a unknown quantity I would fit an oil pressure gauge also

5. ivortheengine2 Forum Member

it has a new oil pump a few months ago , mech said oil pressure was good , do you mean pressure gauge for car in dash ?

6. ivortheengine2 Forum Member

1600gti noisy engine tappets

small update , car was in with mechanic today , who did a compression test on it when the car was cold , turns out cylinder no 4 has no compression , he was too busy to do much else with it , so car is back home. A neighbour checked it out last night with some feeler gauges the, tappet on inlet valve needs reduced , the exhaust valve bucket is quite tight in the head so we took it out but is there anything we can do without going as far as taking off the head ?

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

No compression means one or both valves must be open ( or worse) Me, i'd be measuring the exhaust shim and refitting one thinner so you get some clearance. Then repeat the comp test. If its not 100%, pull the head

8. ivortheengine2 Forum Member

ta will mention that to the neighbour , the chambers in the head for the buckets are very tight , especially exhaust one would this be hampering the valves , the bucket goes up and down when in place but hasnt free rotation like the others , as you can guess by now imnot terribly mech minded .

9. ivortheengine2 Forum Member

neighbour called in this afternoon ,the rain had ruined his plans so it was mk1 time !
    measured up the valve clearances tweaked three of them .freed up the tight bucket so all rotating freely again . she is starting quickly again so hopefully she will be grand .