1600 X-Flow cam - anyone got timing figs?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Mike_H, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I pulled the AFT 1600 X-flow apart today, and did a quick measure of the cam. It's got 10.6mm of lift, which is a bit more than a PB cam (10.2mm lift). I was wondering if anyone has the valve timing figs for one. If the duration is similar, it might be a budget upgrade for a stock PB one, or for a carb car.

The 1600 X-flow produces 99bhp with a catalyst, so there's a chance the cam is worth trying in other models.

2. Nellis Forum Member

Here it is, measured @ 1mm:

[​IMG]

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice to see my vernier caliper measurement wasn't too far out.

Do you have the figs for 0.1mm, as I think that's what the PB/DX specs will be written at? EDIT: Haynes quotes at 1mm, so no need!

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  4. Mike_H Forum Addict

A-ha! Found this on another post.

Suggests to me that the X-flow cam could well be worth a try. Particularly in a catalyst-equipped vehicle like a Mk3 8v GTI, where extra duration could cause problems, but more lift could help power output.

Obviously you'll still get more poke with a proper performance cam, but this could be a budget mod worth trying.

Assuming PB figs there are also at 1mm then a PB cam is 220* vs 216 for the 1600 X-flow, but 10.2mm lift instead of 10.6.

A GU cam seems to be about 216* but not sure of the lift. I think it's less than 10.2mm.

Just adding to this:
    DX Hydraulic cam (same as EV in a Mk2 golf).
    Inlet Opens 3* BTDC, Inlet closes 43* ABDC - 226 degrees duration. Solid tappet is 9* longer at 235.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012