16v 9A running problems.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by SilverR, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SilverR New Member

Hello from Estonia

I have a MK3 golf with a 9A Ke-Motronic swapped from a 90-s passat. It failed emissions, at idle it was just over the limit and at 2000rpm twice over the limit, but since my friend took it there and forgot to take the paper with the data i can only use his words. Anyways you can smell it running rich at idle with warm engine, it slightly misfires also at idle. Idle speed with warm engine is around 900rpm, sometimes when you drive it it stays at around 1100rpm and wont return to normal after you restart it. It pulls okaysh under wot and sometimes hits the revlimiter early(6500rpm, normally over 7k, cant really tell when since i have a 7k rpm counter). Friends have also noticed black smoke from the exhaust under low rpm wot acceleration. Timing is correct. No exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor.

I have changed both knock sensors, temp sensor, rotor, cap, sparkplugs, o2 sensor, fuel filter and air filter. It also has KR cams, 4 branch manifold and 2.5 inch exhaust system.
    Cant find any vacum leaks with brake cleaner. Although i must say the donor had a hole in the connection between the inlet manifold and the isv and a hole in the breather hose what i have fixed and it ran better than in my golf.

Any ideas what to check next?

For some laughs, a mk3 on ke-jet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance
    Silver

2. SilverR New Member

Timing does not seem correct after all after yesterday when i figured i should change the timing belt, it was set by the v belt pulley before. They dont seem to lineup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So stripped crank keyway or i am just stupid? I dont think you can set the front pulley wrong?

3. Crasher New Member

The set-up of the 9A metering head is incredibly fine, the slightest bit off and they run badly. To set one up you need the frequency valve break out harness and a sensitive current measuring multimeter which will read under 200mAmp. It must have the ECU put into Basic Settings before being adjusted. If you can find a copy of this, http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/repair-information/vw-scan-tool-companion-90-95.html it outlines the procedure in detail showing you what to do. Your timing is spot on, the timing mark you show on the front pulley is zero and the one at the back zero and what you will find is that if you slakes off the outer four M8 6mm bolts that there is slack which you can use to correct the misalignment but I just follow the flywheel.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. SilverR New Member

Thank you for the reply, i think it was a tooth off in timing before as it runs much better now. Still runs rich though. It has now detonated twice with the ignition off after coming from a long ride. I pulled the plugs and number one plug is much darker than the rest, so i think i have a leaky injector?