16v bottom cam belt cover

Discussion in '16-valve' started by altern8, Oct 31, 2005.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

is there anyway i can fit the bottom cambelt cover without taking all the pullies off i only need it to set the timing [:$]

2. 16vbanger Forum Member

you only have to remove the bottom pulley with the four spline bolts nothing else

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

you cant budge the cover with the pulley on

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Take the timing from the flywheel end?

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

i need to double check the timing with the cams so it needs the bottom cover for the mark it starts ok but dont idle [:s]

theres no way i could cut the cover to fit it then [:$]

6. greg s Forum Member

Just find TDC by sticking a screwdriver or something down #1 spark plug
    hole.

7. 16vbanger Forum Member

there should be a red dash on the cover and a dink in the bottom pulley for tdc

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yeah, don't disturb the cover if it's in place and not touching the pulleys and making a horrible noise like mine was! Do the timing using the flywheel mark and find TDC with something stuck down plug hole number one as above. :)

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

mine hasnt got a cover on atm [:$]

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

i bought the cover friday looks like its a pully off job or cut the cover [:$]

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep,ive often looked at the pullies and thought,argh feck it,chop the fecker up. :lol:

but always ended up just getting stuck in and taking the pullies off,good idea to replace the allen key headed bolts with new/stainless for the future. :)

neil.
    Edited by: riley

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The flywheel marker is a lot more accurate than the vibration pulley end, TDC is TDC wichever end you set it. I used the screwdriver to double check the flywheel hadn`t been bolted on out of phase.

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

i got a 16v rocco inlet and you cant see anything near the gearbox the amount of stuff on that side [:$]

ive got the 2 pulles off and the cover on but how tight do the bolts need to go back in for the water pump pully and the other one

do they need to have lock tight on them too ?

Cheers
    Craig

14. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Im gonna be doing the timing on my valver hybrid soon.... but ive cracked the plastic cover. Does it need to have one on? They look gash anyway!!!!

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I just did a belt change on mine today, couldn`t see the flywheel marker after removing my inlet piping (rocco manifold) and dizzy cap, you have to take the huge bung out as well, not just the middle?

Got a screwdriver down number one and checked the tdc against the cam marker was ok before I started.

With the serp pulley off the crank you can mark a tooth on the cambelt pulley which is spot on aligned with the top bolt for the crank seal plate (cover bolt). Loads easier than faffing about with the serp pulley markers.

On another note, I took the bottom cover off because the BBM pulley interfered with it, looking today the crank seal plate uses two of the cover bolts to hold it against the block [:$], put two bolts in sharpish..

16. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Ah so you run yours without a cover too. Good, i think those plastic covers are f**kin horrible.

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

They're horrible until the day a stone goes around with the cam belt and fetches it off and fecks your engine :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

18. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yep, can`t run the plastics with my belt run though [:s], would prefere them on. Mine was f**ked anyway, the pulley saw to that, hope I don`t ditch it into the gravel [8(].

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I've always run without them, never bust a belt yet. But having said that, one of my 8v's does have a wee perforation right in the centre of the belt. Still, 19 Gti's , 12 years with no covers and no breakages yet.....