16V Coil failure >7.9K rpm

Discussion in '16-valve' started by RobT, Oct 8, 2004.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi

I would be interested to hear if anyone has run a 16V over 7.9Krpm for any extended periods, not just the odd flash.

Reason I ask is that the std ignition coil on my 16V ibiza wont do this - the coil simply cannot charge and discharge quick enough - the dwell time does not change with rpm. When this first happened, the engine lost all power, like in a fuel starvation situation (and nearly resulted in an accident, overtaking some cars when it happened) but after a couple times the coil has overheated resulting in a failure.

Have now fitted a Vauxhall XE coil and a Lunenition amplifier that allows running at higher revs - shortens the dwell time at higher rpm to allow the coil to do its thing.

Cheers

Rob

2. NormanCoal Forum Member

The only person that I know of that runs past the standard 7.2K rpm limit on a modded 16v is Barny. He's the only one with a modified ECU crystal, I know it will go past 8.2K as I had it done originally.
    I dont know to what extent the engine lives above 7.9K rpm though, very seldom I would think, so the likelyhood of the problem occuring is slim I would think

3. H8SV8S Forum Member

I've not had this problem **touch wood** I don't know if the ABF coil is different, though. Plus, when my engine was built, we had to play around with the ignition components, so I'm not exactly sure what it runs now anyway...might not even be VW parts, actually [:s]

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

older 16v motors have cylinderical (old skool) coils... ABF style is a single coil pack type arrangement.

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

If he has an ABF-style single coil setup that is like a square transformer that bolts to the bulkhead (rather than the old skool-type cylindrical coils that Bill mentions) then he needs to watch it if he's going above 7.9K regularly (mine is now spending lots of time up there [:D] , well it is when its working.... [:^(] ) nearly there now.

Cheers

Rob

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Woohoo.... I can here it from here m8:p :lol: [:D]

7. barny Forum Member

no mine is the (very) old school - i say old as i've never changed it since owning the car ... some 8 years now !

we did a sustained run on my private test track recently at an indicated 150mph (personal best yay !!) which was well into 7k with no problems - the dastek works - no pinking !!

but to be honest robs engine is a tad more special than mine !

8. H8SV8S Forum Member

I'd forgotten the ABF came with the coil pack - mine has the cylindrical type - no idea what it's from, nor why I had to have it changed, though. Rev limit is 7,950rpm IIRC (I can't see exactly as it runs off the tacho!! :lol: )

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Just found a mod to run the tacho at half speed: actual 8K = 4K on the tacho.

The tacho normally takes its signal feed from the coil but if you use an injector pulse then it runs at half speed ! few bits of stick-on numbers and whallah, a tacho that can be used at high revs !

Cheers

Rob

10. H8SV8S Forum Member

:p Nice Work! I'll have to give it a go - much better than buying one of those big ricer tachos [:s]