16v: Corrado or Mk2 Golf?

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Jeff, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jeff Forum Junkie

As a semi temporary measure I'm looking at mk2 16v golfs. (read: until I sort out my finances again, so dont hold your breath cos it could become a permanent measure :lol:) And then I thought what about a corrado? (dont want g60 or vr6, too thirsty and ive had a corrado g60 and only just sold a vr6 golf).

I have a feeling a Corrado 16v is going to be slower than a mk2, question is how much, and is there anything else to consider? Cost of panels / availability of parts being one thing I thought of, for instance.

2. slick Forum Junkie

mk2 golf.

Raddos are particularily susceptible to electrical problems. [:^(]

3. alby Forum Junkie

i cant say i notice a massive performance difference between 1.8 golfs and rados.the corrado ive got atm definately seems quicker than my last mk2 valver (until it was vr'd ;) )

but they do seem prone to more annoying niggly problems than the golf.in the last two weeks my door handles have broke(cheap but annoying) and the leccy mirrors have packed up(possibly related).rear wheel bearings went too.

my spoiler and sunroof works properly :o .well they did yesterday :lol:

for looks,handling and a more modern interior its the rado evertime.for a cheap hack go for the golf
    Edited by: alby

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

hmmm, always liked corrados, but then I've had one and not had a mk2 golf yet except my rallye. Know what ya mean about the niggles, I had em on my last one!

5. iguana Forum Member

Corrado defo a more relaxing place to be on a long run & the dash & interior don't come out of Noahs Ark either ;)

In 2 yrs- less niggles than any of my Mk2 Golfs, none in fact other than silly oil buzzer actually, body parts are way more expensive, so dont crash it! :p perfomance perhaps down a bit as bit more lardy, but more areodynamic so i think it makes it up when the speeds rise.

Mine is for sale soon.
    Edited by: iguana

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

corrado! [:D]

i dont know why,mines give me nowt but shit in the few weeks ive had it,but still fantastic to drive [:^:] and gotta love the driving position.

im guessing you know the 1800 is quicker than 2.0 as standard :)

neil.

7. vealige Forum Member

Corrado is definatley a better car but i'd take a MK2 out for a spin and see what you think as you may really like it.

8. Jeff Forum Junkie

I think ultimately price is going to determine this. And I sorta feel like an outsider having never had a GTI :lol:

Hoping to have a look at a few mk2 16vs today!

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm thinking the same but i'm swaying towards a mk2 (if the arsonist pays out [:x] )

10. Tarnbir Forum Member

Hey
    Corrado, looks better, handles better.

both are decent enough cars though.

try both and then decide.

taz

11. Jeff Forum Junkie

should I be considering a mk3 16v do you think? seen a few for reasonable money, and I know the engine in them is very good, but I'm not sure if I want a mk3 (They seem to rust far too much for their age and they dont look like a classic golf GTI to me)

12. Dub20vt Forum Member

not all of them rust.. there was a period in 92-93 iirc where the zinc coating wasn't added to the chassis. out of the later mk3s i've not seen many that were badly rotten. as for wether to get one... take one for a drive and see what you think.