16v engine in 8v mk2 gti

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jdb2000, Jul 18, 2009.

1. jdb2000 New Member

hi guys, ive had a range of mk2's and im now looking at getting a mk2 gti! ive taken a look about and found a mk2 8v 1.8ltr for about 300 and i would like to try and put a 16v engine into it as ive found one for about 100, just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on wether its possible? and any sort of hints theyve got for me! any advice would be appreciated, thanks, James! :thumbup:

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Depends on the age of the car to some extent, but 8v to 16v isn't a simple swap. You'll need all the manifolds, fuel system, induction, injectors, loom, etc, that goes with the 16v.

3. nealey Forum Junkie

Think a lot of it depends on budget and what you actually want from the car

Personally if you are going to drop a standard KR engine in i wouldnt bother and would just try and find a 16v to begin with

4. jdb2000 New Member

do you know if it will fit onto engine manifold?

5. jdb2000 New Member

also could you tell me if theres an engine which will be a better choice to put in?

6. nealey Forum Junkie

the 8v manifold wont fit the 16v head

What year is the mk2? If you want a 16v engine in there the 2.0 16v ABF engine is the better one to go with but the year of the car its going into makes a difference to the ease of the wiring etc

7. jdb2000 New Member

its a c reg so 1986, is that ok?

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

86 will probably be k-jet, in that case the fuel pump and lines at least can be retained. still need the metering head and all the engine bay bits and lines however. 16v zaust is bigger bore but you can fit the 8v downpipe onto a 16v manifold, assuming its late enough to have a 6 bolt flange. being 86 I recon it most probably will.

then theres the engine management loom, most of the cold start bits you need are there but wiring lengths will need to be adjusted. You need the ign controller & loom plus ideally you want the isv controller & loom. They can run without though, the AAV apparently does work if bolted up where the 16v ISV is.

If you wanted all the loom a pre-90- 16v setup would be plug & play.