16v exhaust on 2e conversion

Discussion in '8-valve' started by i.a.n.b, Sep 24, 2008.

1. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I've read many times the 8v and 16v exhausts are easily swapped but does anyone have any experience of putting a 16v exhaust system on there 2e/pb conversion? I'm only talking the standard vw boxes not big bore, boy racer style, much improvement to be had by fitting the 16v??

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

This is doable using 8v manifold on 16v downpipe, or G60 downpipe & cat bypass. I cant imagine it would hurt to have the 16v bore pipe on there, bit of futureproofing thrown into the bargain! If you can get the G60 setup even better as it'll fit without needing to remove steering rack and/or drop subframe, plus it has a lambda fitting included for megasquirt/abf :thumbup:

3. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I already have an 8v four branch fitted that goes to mk3 de-cat to get to the standard 8v system, so fitting should be no trouble, may just need an adapter/sleeve from the decat to the centre box. Just wondering if its going to make much difference as I can get all 3 16v boxes at a very good price.;) :lol:

4. nealey Forum Junkie

Go for it Ian, i think the 16v front box has a very similar fitment to your decat so it may fit straight on pretty much

You try it, see if it makes a difference and then when the time comes to do mine it will make life easier

5. JamesL Forum Member

Put a vw long life 16v exhaust on my 8 valve which is soon to be 3A/PB and can't say it has made any noticeable improvement to the 1.8 but I'm sure it will help when I get the 2 litre in as it's bound to flow a lot better

6. paultownsend Forum Member

iv a mk2 golf with agg 2.0, newman 268, big valave head. it was too noisy with my milltek exhaust, so i swapped it with a supersprint first pipe, and oe vw pb 1.8 centre and back box. it didnt seem to look restrictive. but the centre box was very heavy, and this i think is where the problem lies, not the back box

on every drive, possible 250 miles, it stunk. i constantly thought my car was on fire, and was getting v.worried. although it was deadly silent

at slow speeds the car seemed to drive normally, but open her up, over 4k in 3rd-5th, it just didnt want to pull. it seemed to take forever. i put the milltek back on and she now pulls hard to the red, in every gear. and id say very well for an 8v

i think it was more the restrictive baffles than the pipe diameter, certainly the middle box as its v.heavy. and i think the only difference between the 8v/16v systems is .25'' pipe diameter. and unlike an aftermarket sytem, that reduces on the bends anyway!

from seeing your car in the readers rides, i think you have a jetex. and i think youd regret putting back on the said system

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  7. rubjonny

Have to say I had an 8v GTI system on my 2e/pb combo, pulled fine. however the front silencer was removed which may have been the difference...
    Got 106.4 at the wheels on the rollers at storm too! Id still go for the 16v system though, saves having to swap it again when you put a 16v in there ;)

8. paultownsend Forum Member

it just pulled like it did before i put the big valve head on her. like it cancelled it out. they are cheap though. the 2 boxes cost somethinh like 111 with club discount

9. rubjonny

yeah I was agreeing with you ;)

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

There is no real benefit. Just keep it simple.

11. nealey Forum Junkie

Its not a jetex just a standard 8v vw exhaust with hand polished tailpipes

12. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

If thats all it is then I can't see there being much value to it.

13. paultownsend Forum Member

im sure the 8v is 2" and the 16v 2.25", at their largest points at the most

14. rubjonny

the 16v has a different silencer in front of the rear beam too, its kinda shaped like a giant suitcase :lol:

15. fishermanfred New Member

had jan speed on my 8v it had 3 boxes on it so replaced it with a power flow stainless steel just had the rear two boxes fitted its made a dif.
    not sure if this info well help you as it early in the morn and 15 beers later lol

16. mk2vivs Forum Member

i like the sound from my totally standard oe exhuast its not too loud but i have a 2.0,cam,filter,lightened flywheel and a polished and ported head but it does seem resrictive.Whats the best set up then?can i keep my vw back box and fit some miltek/janspeed mid pipe/box?