16v idle problem

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Ballan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Ballan Paid Member Paid Member

Right, here goes. My mk2 idles really bad. Up and down all the time. Worse when warmed up tho. But, when you turn on the headlights it seams to ease off and settle a bit. Any ideas of what's causing this? And if I plug in the cold start it dies straight away, but starts no problem with out it.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if plugging in the cold start valve effects it when car is running, somethign is wrong. the csv only fires when cranking! check csv thermoswitch to start with, its the massive 2 pin brown one on the side of the head back lower corner. as for idle issue, start with the idle switch. it shoudl click every time the throttle is closed, if not check the upper arm is free to move and springs back easily under its own power. if not undo the top 13mm nut clean n grease the linkage and bushes, then refit. make sure you dont catch the spring in the bushes otherwise it will stick again.

3. Ballan Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, gives me somewhere to start. Got another csv ordered cause I wasn't sure if it was the valve itself. As for the idle, it springs free enough, I'll need to check the switch.