16V idle woes

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Admin, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Admin Guest

Hello,

Right...I've been having a few problems with my Mk1 16V recently, but until now they haven't been a major headache. My tears of frustration are now pooling on my keyboard and I really need some help please:

Problem 1 - ISV died about one month ago (i.e. it stopped buzzing - have visually checked ISV earth and it looks OK). The car ran sweet before, then I started the engine one morning and it died instantly. Giving it some throttle on re-starting and gently lowering revs to idle speed meant that it would idle well enough to warm up, at which point the idle was fine (running on bypass screw?). I am attempting to purchase replacement ISV. This isn't a major issue, but is background info...

Problem 2 - I was driving on the A14 today, giving it some enthusiasm, and when I turned off onto the A1120 and stopped at a roundabout the engine cut out. I restarted the engine but it wouldn't idle at all. To get the engine to run I had to restart and give it some throttle straight away, but then while driving at low revs (<3000rpm) I could hear that the engine was misfiring. Every time I stopped the revs dropped to zero and the engine cut out. Anyway, I managed to get back home without stopping again and have been attempting to find the problem. (NB The MFA indicated that the economy was 26mpg, when previous motorway driving had given 32mpg).

Car details:
    Late Mk1 with KR engine from 1989 Golf;
    K-Jet injection including idle set up and all associated valves, vacuum stuff, switches etc.;
    Ran perfectly until ISV died, then ran adequately until today (now no idle at all);
    Ignition timing, idle and CO adjusted a week before ISV died;
    Recent fan switch as this died unexpectedly;
    All fuses checked and fine,
    All engine earths visually inspected and renewed where necessary;
    Recent cam belt, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm;
    2 of 3 coolant senders on side of engine replaced with gsf items;
    Recent fuel pump.

Any suggestions please??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Fray16v Forum Member

i had an 8v with this kin of problem try the spark plugs, rotor arm, ht leads and dizzy cap as mine just needed a dizzy cap and that stopped the back fireing and cutting out at every junction.

hope you get it sorted mate good luck

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

Is the cabling from these sound ?

Red / Green for ISV - Blue / White for ECU

I had a similar idling problem when the Red / Green connection broke.

4. Admin Guest

Update

Right bit embarrassing this...solved problem 2 this afternoon. The misfire at low revs and lack of idle at any engine temp led me to suspect a vacuum leak. Vacuum lines all fine, inlet manifold fine, inlet tract and rubber boots fine. Hmm. However, as I was re-attaching the throttle body boot I noticed that the throttle body had come loose and was all wobbly [:$]

Tightened the bolts, put it back together, and still the same problem except the car would run for a couple of seconds before dying. I then had a play with the idle screw and now the car idles fine, at least when hot.

Presumably when I set up the idle and CO the throttle body was loose otherwise the car would have idled normally once I tightened up the throttle body. I'm going to replace the red/green coolant sender tonight and try a new ISV and controller to try to fix problem 1 :-)

5. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

just swap the red/green wire onto another of the working senders and see does it buzz. if it doesnt then sender is not the problem

6. Admin Guest

Right, I inspected the one sender I hadn't already replaced and discovered that the previous owner of the engine had attempted to repair the sender where the blade had broken (looks like solder or something - blade was loose anyway!). Anyway, I replaced that with one from ECP, fitted a new spade connector to the wire, and hooked it up, and.....nothing.

So following some delving around inside the car I see that the black wire (ignition feed?) from the ISV controller is swinging free having probably fallen out of the multiplug on the fuse box! Does anybody know where this is supposed to go, or alternatively is there another ignition wire that I can splice it to??

Edit: Oh, right, plug A pin 25...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  7. Admin Guest

Right, reconnected the black wire and now the ISV hums again :-)
    Set up time...

Update: right, started it up and the idle was a bit bouncy, probably because the CO was 7%! Thought it smelled a little rich...
    All fixed now though. Revs fall nicely to idle speed when clutch pedal is depressed :-)
    Smooth from cold too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010