16v kr 296 kent cams

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lukejw90, Nov 21, 2023.

1. Lukejw90 New Member

IMG_3490.png IMG_3495.png IMG_3512.jpeg IMG_3512.jpeg IMG_3321.jpeg IMG_3306.jpeg IMG_3322.jpeg IMG_3305.jpeg IMG_3297.png IMG_3293.png Hi everyone looking for some help and information regarding a kr engine i have restored, and what work has possibly been done, it already had a set of 296 kent cams part no GF1604 before i restored,
    Powerband 3500-8000
    Competition/ motorsport
    Valve lift 11.3mm
    It has a vernier pulley CA68
    i noticed it has been stamped at the end of the camshaft TSR GF1604
    Does this mean TSR have carried out the work? Or do they stamp the parts they supply?
    Also has a number HCRH 04094 if that means anything.
    The head looks like it has had work done but im not 100% sure, the ports look bigger?.
    What is needed for these cams to be fitted im guessing bare minimum would be head work due to the extra lift,
    would the block need oversize pistons?
    I spoke to TSR and they say usually they bore the block to 82.5mm or 83.00mm
    suppose the only way really would be a complete strip down and a measure up of the cylinders
    having searched the forums about these cams, it seems all the power is right up the rev range, im would the limit be 8000.
    The car will be a weekend and track car
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Big cams those. And usually lumpy at light loads.

You would need a vernier cam pulley and also an internal intake cam gear to achieve the recommended lift at TDC or cam overlap and the overall advance/retard of the cam set.

The head has work done that is visible at the intake port with some "matching" at the manifold mating surface, but the bridge/divider is typical of an early KR cylinder head 027103373E.
    I do not know why you ask what is needed to fit the cams as I thought you already showed pictures of he cam clearly fitted to the cylinder head.
    For more details on the cylinder head, you need a pair of trained eyes to look at other aspects of the cylinder head, which are not shown in the pictures.

As for "power" that is an irrelevant target. I expect these cams to have the best cylinder fill (torque) from 4500 rpm to 6500 rpm on a KR 1.8. all things being equal.
    You should have sufficient torque, pending valve springs and good exhaust valves at near 8000 rpm yes.
    Being a KR you can only fill so much and make the best torque for a 1.8 with a specified static compression ratio.

Have you spoken to Rob Elick at TSR for exact details. Maybe it is one of their own engine packages?

Not what I would run for a weekend or track car. Too many compromises for me and nothing a well tuned 2.0 ABF engine on a standalone ECU could not achieve.

3. Lukejw90 New Member

Thanks for your reply Toyotec,
    The cams have a kent vernier pulley and the intake cam gear
    The reason i asked about fitment was just to see what work the engine would have had done for these camshafts, You mention that you wouldn’t use this engine at weekends or road use is this because the power will all be at the high end and not much low down? Im curious to see what the engine was built for, it says the cams are designed for competition use.
    I spoke to tsr just by email a bloke called craig was very helpful but maybe need to speak to rob. I just persumed as it was a tsr stamp that they would have carried out the work, hopefully they can give me some imformation, i would like to think the bottom end would have been built for these cams. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023