16v kr into a mk1 caddy guidance sought

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by falcodub, Jan 14, 2010.

1. falcodub Forum Member

Right, i am hoping to collect a mk1 caddy project at the weekend and as i have a rusty mk2 with a 2.1 16v kr engine in it i am thinking that it needs to be installed into the caddy!

So....I need to find a how to, parts required that would be specific to the conversion etc.
    Wiring wise, my mk2 is pre 90 spec so is this the same fusebox as a mk1?
    Or can i change the whole fusebox/loom from the mk2 over?

All the above must be done on a next to nothing budget as my g60 converted mk2 is my main project!!

Any pointers/advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. CrazyNick Forum Member

If the caddy is a gti then its a straight swap, and you should use the mk1 loom and fusebox. I fitted the mk2 loom into my mk1 and it looks a right mess. You will need the ignition loom and ecu and tci switch from the mk2. Probably worth changing the clutch at the same time while you have the engine out.
    You will also need a 16v conversion exhaust manifold. Don't buy the hottuning raceland one off ebay.Thats the one i have, its rubbish. Get either ashley or supersprint, whichever one you get, i would get the corresponding exhaust system. Then it is guarenteed to fit. Ashley will be cheaper.
    You will need to relocate the fuel metering unit and air box to the other side. When the engine is out you need to bend the fuel lines to the other side of the engine bay. To do this i think you need to disconnect the steering column from the steering rack.

cant think of anything else

3. falcodub Forum Member

doesn't sound too bad.
    caddy is a diesel, so not sure if that changes the wiring side?
    Can a mk2 4 branch be modified to fit? know a couple of people handy with a welder.

4. CrazyNick Forum Member

Im not sure about deisel. You can use the mk2 loom however a mk1 gti loom fits better.
    I know that if the mk1 originaly had a small block then you need to move the drivers side engine mount forwards, not sure how far and not sure about deisel. Probably need the fuel pump and accumulator off the mk2 aswel then.
    you will struggle to fit the mk2 airbox in. i use a mk1 gti one.

not sure about modifying mk2 exhaust manifold.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need to use both the mk1 and mk2 loom, the mk2 engine loom lengths are all wrong for a caddy as fusebox is on opposite side of the car. you keep the mk1 sensor and starter bits, and just add in the mk2 engine management and isv control stuff, adding length where required. On my MK1 conversion pretty much everything ended up the right length, except the wires from fusebox to the airbox and the throttle switch needed extending.

airbox will fit if its the earlier narrower type, just have to chop the bottom half of the airbox off. use MK3 ABF dizzy cap, and rotate dizzy 180 degrees, and use 8v king lead. Best OEM option IMO, looks neat and all oem parts can be used without modification.

fuel wise all of the caddy stuff will need to go in the bin, and replaced with k-jet injection stuff, fuel lines are all wrong, is no under car fuel pump etc. Ideally fit the MK2 GTI fuel pump, if there is room. I guess there is being a caddy, must be somewhere you can stash it? if not its gonna have to be a MK1 GTI pump. Try to use the MK2 fuel lines as they're plastic so wont rot, but it depends where you end up putting the fuel pump. Failing that crazyquiff does MK1 16v conversion lines, pricey but the qualitai is top notch.

Have a looky at my MK1 cabby build thread, some piccies in there of airbox mods and abf cap etc, plus pic of my modified downpipe to get the zausty hooked up.

6. falcodub Forum Member

do you have a wiring guide in your build thread? and i presume its in readers rides?

Can i use a mk2 box as well using late cabby driveshafts or use the mk2 shafts?

edit: found you thread but no wiring guide! I know your good at wiring but i unfortunately am not!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  7. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

You will need the late spec cabriolet drive shafts from 89 onwards you cant use the ones you have im afraid.

I would also recommend doing the brakes whilst the engine is out as i did on mine, use your Mk2 servo and also move the resovoir bottle so it faces the other way with the level reading pointing towards the back, this is so it doesnt fowl the dizzy.

As rubjonny says you need to use an ABF dizzy cap but will need to get your dremel to create grooves for the dizzy cap clips to grab onto as on an ABF cap they are screw in not clip on.

Go with the supersprint manifold as in my opinion the Ashely one is crap. Would also recommend heat wrapping it to keep the engine bay temps down.

You will also need to swap over the engine mounts as they are different on a Mk1 but the are bolt on bolt off.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have a good diagram if you wanna pm me your email addy, it covers pre-90 16v so all the wiring you'll need is in it :)

plus the advantage of having the same fusebox on both donors is you can look at the fusebox pins to see which bits on the mk2 loom go where. at the end of the day though theres only like 4 wires tops that go to the fusebox on the 16v loom, the main hurdle is getting everyhting routed neatly then extending the wires to suit.

you need to keep the caddy shafts or fit late cabby/rocco 1.8 ones, the MK2 shafts are the wrong length. MK2 gearbox will fit fine, just need to swap all the MK1 mounts n linkages over, or if its a 4 speed you'll need to source 5 speed MK1 bits.

edit: you can use your old shafts if you fit 90mm flanges on the MK2 box, otherwise as above later cab/rocco. You dont need to flip the reservoir backwards if you use an ABF dizzy cap. Plus I didnt need to modify anything to get my ABF cap on, the clips fit over the lugs just fine!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. falcodub Forum Member

pming you now mate for the wiring diagrams, many thanks