16V KR sounds awful. - Vince’s opinion...

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Trev16v, May 19, 2005.

1. ABF_2L16VT Forum Member

Rite, I bought and fitted a new cam chain last night, and it seemed to have sorted the problem out, took it to my mate who had his own garage and he said it now sounded like the bearings (cam) are worn, and there a tap that sounds like its coming from the little end (piston 4) seems to be worse on the over run....

Am off to Le Mans on Monday, so am in the process of looking for a replacement 2.0L 16v engine, was thinking if i buy a whole car I can see/hear the engine running and know if its fit for the trip,

Its a question of wether I can find a car, strip it, install the engine in my car before Monday...................

Betting Ends..[:s]

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I think Tub may still have his ABF engine for sale? Drop him a PM maybe, failing that ChrisP is selling the block and head from his track car, think that's a 6A engine. :)

3. dubst16v Forum Member

yeah tubs engine was spot on ! im sure its still 4 sale

4. ABF_2L16VT Forum Member

Ive just come back from Morden, have collected an audi 80 2.0L 16v, has a recon engine 6 months ago, 260 quid, bargain....

quick engine change at the weekend, and france Monday ;)

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Brilliant, good luck with the swap! [:D]

6. golf_nuts Forum Member

Dragging this up from the past as i'm currently experiencing problems almost identical to Trev...

The car is a mk2 16v with an ABF running the original K-jet. Did the swap myself over a weekend and had it set up and fuel pressure tweaked on a rolling road soon after, and although it only made 143bhp it's not been behaving too badly until now.
    The noise is exactly as trev describes, and is not load dependant, only engine speed. It's a very fast metallic rattling that occurs between 2-2300rpm, and either side of this band it's pretty quiet. It sounds like something resonating, so at first i though exhaust heatshield, but upon closer inspection it definitely appears to be coming from the engine itself.

So then i thought it might be the cam chain, as the rolling road operator had mentioned he thought the chain sounded a little noisy at the time, and could've been the reason for the slight power loss. But having changed the cam chain today, which was very slack, it's still making the noise.

I'm almost certain it can't be tappets as it's far too fast, and would surely occur all the time? So not really sure of any other components in the engine that could cause these symptoms. I have ruled out alternator and water pump bearings by removing the belt and running briefly. Really confused about it, and would appreciate any input on the problem :thumbup:

As a side note, it's interesting Trev mentioned he thought it was pinking, as a colleague who builds and races top fuel motorbikes mentioned he had similar symptoms on a road bike once that turned out to be pinking. The only reason i'm doubting this being the cause of my problems is because it seems to be totally non load dependent, and occurs in the mid range rather than top end. The fueling has obviously been set up recently too... the symptoms also seems to be worse when the car is cold, to the extent where the rattle can't really be heard once the engine is fully up to temp.

thanks in advance

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hi golf nuts. Funny to see this old one brought back up. I never did find out the cause, but I do still have the old KR block waiting to be stripped to see what it was.

What I'll point out is that the noise I was getting would occur at the moment a load was just removed. So you'd boot it, and it'd occur the moment you dip the clutch to change gear.

Let us know if you get to the bottom of this. Most interested.

8. golf_nuts Forum Member

How strange - this is the exact revelation I made the other evening on the way home from work. Even though i'd tested to see whether the clutch had any influence on the noise before, it must have been when the engine was cold still, as once warmed up the noise can be influenced by the clutch like an on-off switch. Still, only at approx 2000rpm though.

When engaged (clutch pedal up) the noise does not occur with the engine fully warmed up, but with it disengaged (clutch pedal depressed) it comes on like a light. This can reapeated either moving or stationary with the car in neutral.

The clutch was new when the engine went in, and i'm always careful to assemble and torque everything on the clutch/fly assembly correctly, but i can only guess something has come loose, or a friction disc rivet has slackened off or something along those lines. The only thing i'm not sure about whether i've done correctly is that I haven't replaced the flywheel/coverplate bolts (the ones that require the use of a 9mm multipoint socket) - but then i've done a few clutch changes before and never had a problem reusing these.

I will update on the weekend once i've had the gearbox off :thumbup:

9. Brownpants Forum Member

I've been doing a WAN upgrade at work and this thread has kept me entertained through the 2 hrs+ of pigeon english conversation! Trev you must get your KR lump broke up so we can find out the issue, reading it is like waiting to find out who shot Phil Mitchel!! You have been through hell with this you/we deserve to know

TREV TREV TREV TREV TREV TREV TREV!!!!

10. Trev16v

WTF - this thread is a blast from the past!

That KR lump is still in the garage at our old house; our tenant there keeps pleading me to come and pick it up. :lol:

11. Brownpants Forum Member

lol! well it certainly kept me entertained that is funny re teh tenant, can't he strip it down again?

12. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

He's waiting to put a Myford 7 where the block currently is!!!

13. Trev16v

Where's my rent.* [:x]

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

If the head is OK then it's worth a bit of cash....

15. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

The dog ate it! *

16. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

without reading the whole thread again, did we find out the GSP tappets where not taking the oil, or a air lock in the oil system??

I've had both of these in the past