16v or vr6 engine replacing 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by stephano75, Aug 20, 2009.

1. stephano75 Forum Member

Hi guys.. Frustrating day today... Was told by my mechanic that my 8v engine is on its way out. Would want to replace it with either a 16v or vr6 engine. How easy is this to do and what sort of parts would i need to change or adapt etc.. I havnt got a clue at these things..

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

What car?

3. stephano75 Forum Member

I have a mk3 k plate 8v.

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Find a shunted donor car, swap bits over. Not much harder than that tbh. I'm in Holbury, could offer a hand perhaps, if required. I have an engine crane and should be coming along to a "New Forest" meet at some point in the very near future. Try Silverlake for a crash damaged car.

5. craggsy Forum Member

The cost of VR6s has dropped big time, you can pick a decent car up for less than 1k now

6. stephano75 Forum Member

VR6 engine on ebay for 200 quid. Just wondering if i would need new exhaust, clutch etc. Thanks for the offer about helping fit it, that would be really kind of you as i havnt got a clue.

7. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

For a 200 engine I personally would be looking at fitting a new clutch as well as Head gasket (A for piece of mind on the head, and B check the bores), timing chains and guides and perhaps all seals and gaskets on the engine.

Would make sence to me to do that before you get the engine in and running and find something wrong.