16v - Pinking at high revs

Discussion in '16-valve' started by smithy, Nov 25, 2004.

1. smithy Forum Member

aha, its all making sense now :lol: Sorry, my heads a bit jammed today [:$] I'll re-set it properly on saturday then. Well happy with how its running now - its never been so smooth!

2. HidRo Forum Member

but wait a second... if you remove the hose, and don't plug it, you will have a massive air leak, or where the hose connects is bellow the air meter plate!?
    and shouldn't you plug the hole in the intake mani!?

3. Golden Forum Junkie

Erm, No, No and No :)

4. iguana Forum Member

I had a chin wag to vince at Stealth about the twin exhuaust cam thing & although it can be great for power if its properly machined etc & then set up correctly, they can make the car run like an old bag of spanners if its not.

Seeing as its not the cam that you can stick the vernier pulley on to ajust the timing, its pretty critical that its been made bang on to the right degree setting.

As its a long way to the midlands for you- Id say get ya self down to Star performance to get it all set up properly.

5. flusted Forum Member

I would say its bang on ;) chap who does em can do them in his sleep,with his hands tied,blindfolded (so ive heard :lol: )

6. flusted Forum Member

make sure yours is definetly NOT a 16v rad before you change it.
    Wouldnt want to downgrade to 8v jobbie

7. iguana Forum Member

If you mean Hotgolfs ones, yeah I've heard his are good uns, other peeple do do 'em tho & not all are good.

What was up with yours when it was first done? I remember you posting you were way down on power before Stealth set it up for you- timing out?

8. HidRo Forum Member

oh come on!!! the first too are one!! if one is NO, then the other is YES!! it can't be 2 NO's!!!

9. Golden Forum Junkie

I'm sorry HidRo I don't understand you, sorry [:^(]

10. HidRo Forum Member

ok, i will try to make you understand me...
    i said, that if you remove the hose, you will make an air leak(but i've seen that that won't happen) so its a NO.
    by that, i have the answer for the 2nd Q. which was: "...where the hose connects its bellow the air meter plate", which is, so, its a YES!!
    so, you couldn't say NO to both, neither YES to both, cause, one is the answer for the other ;)

11. Golden Forum Junkie

ahh I think I understand and yes you are right, if I understand you [:s]

12. flusted Forum Member

Sheared woodruff key in cambelt wheel [:s]
    It had retarded timing by nearly 2 teeth!
    I did my bosses car first as a guinea pig and used an adjustable chain sprocket.
    Car goes like a missile but idles very lumpy so it cant be bang on. mine idles spot on 900rpm with "hotgolfed" chainwheel ;)

13. smithy Forum Member

iguana, I know exactly what you mean, mine ran super smooth with the standard KR inlet cam before, but it was really lumpy at idle and when cold until I set it up the other night at the garage. Runs pretty smooth now even when cold so im happy with it now :) Dont think i'll bother taking it to a rolling road, as I plan to fit a 2.0 bottom end pretty soon - we are converting my mates first then doing mine.

Does anyone have a pic of a KR dizzy in the standard timing position? I just want to see where mine is sitting in relation to it. Thanks!

14. ewang3 Forum Member

Smithy, sorry to change the subject.. [:$] did you solve your heater
    problem after? You say your engine runs allot cooler with the heater fan
    on full now?

15. smithy Forum Member

No probs... I didnt have a problem with the heater mate, just that it was running hotter than it should be due to the small 1 core rad thats on it [:s] It certainly isnt helping things but it wasnt the total cause of the pinking. Im fitting the bigger rad tommorow hopefully (if I get the new rad pipes in time) for good measure :)

Can you take a look at your dizzy and tell me what position it is in relation to the bolts? Now i've set mine up, its now sitting just after 1/2 way clockwise....

16. ewang3 Forum Member

Here's a pic before I took the engine out in the summer.. The car was
    running perfectly then.. used this pic as a reference when setting her
    back up.. you can see the bolt gaps ok.

Hope this helps..

[​IMG]

17. smithy Forum Member

Thanks for that mate :)

Hmmm... something still isnt right with mine then, the dizzy on mine is pretty much centred, whearas yours is nearer to the max clockwise. Looking at my mates standard KR, its about the same as yours too [:s] Not only that, but I should (in theory) be able to run more advance than standard because of the wilder inlet cam.

Anyone got any ideas why mine is sitting a lot further retarded than that? Im pretty certain the cam to cam timing is right, and the crank timing seems spot on too [:s]

18. Golden Forum Junkie

You need to establish whether your No 1 plug lead is in the same socket on both cars.

19. smithy Forum Member

Just checked mine against my mates valver... its in the same socket. I think im going to pull the crank pulley off tonight to make sure it hasnt moved, something doesnt add up about the flywheel not lining up correctly with the marks on the other side.

20. flusted Forum Member

If you cam belt was a tooth out,you would need to adjust the dizzy to suit