16v refresh-Engine rebuild suggestions

Discussion in '16-valve' started by beaniegti, Jan 4, 2023.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Hi all. I’m at a bit of a crossroads with my golf and as I’m a bit out of touch with the current world of VWs, I was hoping for a few suggestions.

I have a 9A 16v on jenvey itbs and dta ecu but it hasn’t run for many years. I bought the engine used but running, however it’s been 10 years since then and other than a brief run up the road before the fuel pump seized (new pumps fitted now) the occasional attempted start and turn over to keep it free, it hasn’t moved.

Unfortunately I am unable to work on the car due to distance and time so I am looking for somewhere that could carry this out. Any thoughts on who would be best to do this would be really appreciated. Thanks.

A70616C7-26F7-4674-B998-88C48418957B.jpeg

Pointless pic for a bit of ‘thread jazz’!

2. nass Forum Member

Try vince at stealth racing I know he maps dta ecu

beaniegti likes this.
  3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thanks nass. Good to hear stealth are still going, I had a bit of work done on this car by them many years ago.

Aside from the rebuild of the engine, there are a few niggling things to sort.

-Water leak on the side of the head-from a sensor or flange iirc.
    -Rev counter not working with dta
    -Fuel pump wasn’t priming with ignition although since then I’ve replaced the main and lift fuel pumps and filter.

Another option is to sell it as is, but I’ve owned it for 20 years and I feel I should at least get it running.

4. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Stealth could sort those other niggles out. Could get the car transported to them and get it all sorted ready for when you're free to use the car again? I think there is about a 2 month wait for larger projects but give Vince a ring around 1-2pm they are usually on lunch and Vince is available on the phone to customers when I've been waiting otherwise he's out grafting.

beaniegti likes this.