16v rough idle when cold

Discussion in '16-valve' started by smithy, Nov 19, 2004.

1. smithy Forum Member

Hi guys,

When my 16v is started from cold, it runs spluttery on idle (i.e the exhaust note isnt smooth sounding) and the engine seems to move around a bit and cause a bit of vibration (fitting new mounts this weekend). The problem is only present at idle, if you give it any throttle its perfectly smooth, and once its warmed up it sounds nice and smooth and the engine vibration goes way.

I think this issue started after I fitted then KR exahust inlet cam, so could it be that the WUR needs adjusting to compensate for the wilder inlet cam?

Any ideas?

2. Steve B Forum Junkie

sounds like a vacume leake ot me check all the inlet manifold for air leaks

what i did was spray wd40 all around all the places where it is possible air may escape

as soon as i touched the oil on where the gap was the engine idle rose right up

might help

3. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, could be I suppose, would it not cause problems all the time though even when warm if it was a vacum leak? I'll try the WD40 method like you've suggested and see what happens though. What areas are most likely to leak?

One thing it could be is the upper inlet manifold gasket. I had to re-use the old one when I fitted the cam because GSF sent me the 42mm gasket and mine is the larger 50mm type.

4. Steve B Forum Junkie

well mine was the upper manifold gasket as soon as i sprayed along the line the idel rose up

i dont have a problem with mine any other time at all really just n idel, although it probably doesnt help i still have to replace mine

also with mine when i moved the idle scre it changed nothing to do with the idle the isv wis keeping the car running so the revs would go up say 1300 then slowly drop down and the car would stutter so the idle would go back up to 1300 then slowly down again and kept on repeating this cycle

if you have had the manifold off then i would sugest it was this

if you have upgraded the cams tho you are likely to get a rough idle on some anyway

let me know how you get on

5. smithy Forum Member

Well i've found the vacum leak. One of the vacum hoses had come off. It was the one going to the ECU. Its started pinking now at high revs though so im going to have to re-set the CO and timing as it was all set recently with that hose disconnected.

Its still not all that smooth when cold at idle though, tried WD40 on the upper gasket and it didnt make any odds. Think i'll replace it for good measure anyway, looks like im going to have to get it from VAG as the GSF site only lists the one part number for the upper manifold gasket.