16v Starting issue!!!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Aki508, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Aki508 Forum Member

Just rebuilt my 1.8 16v engine and tried to fire it up for the first time but nothing!

Ive got good spark on all four plugs, Ive done the static timing.

When i turn the key the injectors squirt fuel into the cylinders but then nothing. It just keep turning over and over.

I took number one injector out and it squirts fuel to start with then you turn it over no more fuel comes out?

Ive read somewhere that if there isnt enough fuel in the fuel tank it wont deliver anymore fuel, is this right?

I dont know what else to do. Ive got spark, got the timing nearly right, got the initial fuel prime but nothing else. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

2. milesmk2 Forum Member

Your metering head is possibly shagged.

3. Aki508 Forum Member

It gives the initial squirt of fuel before start up then nothing. If it was buggered then wouldnt it pack in all together?

4. milesmk2 Forum Member

Not really, i had a similar problem and it was the metering head causing the problem.

5. Aki508 Forum Member

right fair enough. Ill have a play with the metering head and see if if its all free and working and not stiff to operate.

My battery earth has started smoking too so i need to check its earthed properly. The engine turns really slow and sluggish so i dont think thats helping starting the car either!