17" Wheels on a mk2 - why are they such a bad idea? Need answers...

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by jasongtr, Feb 16, 2015.

1. jasongtr Forum Member

So with the fact that compomotive are seemingly useless and having a range of around 15x types of 16" inch wheels on their website claim they dont actually sell 16's at the moment (no wonder they nearly went out of business if my telephone conversation with them was anything to go by today)

Speedlines dont do a decent enough offset (unless you buy 24 wheels according to demon tweeks)

wanting to have a motorsport style wheel for my track/fast road car i like the look of Team dynamics pro race 3 but they only come in 15 or 17 and even then only a 38 offset.

So the pro race 1.2 come in ET20 on a 17x8 wheel (they do a 16x7 et15 too)

Now my last 20v mk2 was on 17's (genuine BBS RC 4x100) and that was to clear the brakes, i bought it like that so didn't compare it to other sized wheels on the same setup, to me it handled quite well even with just konis on it.

So with a lot of people suggesting mk2's are not good on 17's, before i go and buy some i thought id ask if there was a decent technical reason (that will most likely be way beyond me) for staying well clear.

The benefits of having 17's would be bigger brake clearance, tyres seem to be more readily available and are around the same price for 16's or 17's.
    They will be a lightweight wheel so the unsprung weight will be ok.
    I wont be running silly show car low heights as its going to be 'driven'

Is it really down to the reduced sidewall height and peoples preference, the car will be fitted with KW v3 coilovers so i can soften them up for road use.

This is a serious request from someone about to spend a fair chunk of money on wheels and tyres, i know some people most likely come back with ' they are just better' but why? and if its down to they are better than being on 15's or 16's and its your personal opinion thats cool, i haven't even driven mine on any wheels due to all the work thats going into it so if 17's is all ill know on it is that going to be so bad?

appreciate any good advice given.

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I run 16x7 et34 Rays Volk TE37 wheels on my mk2 .. was running 15" but car is much better on the 16"
    I also have a set of (genuine BBS 512 splits 4x100 17x 7.5, 57.1 center bore.. et 38, I think in the loft (Years) ..I may sell ;)

3. jasongtr Forum Member

Couple of things wrong with that idea, i dont run 4x100 and think I'm going to need an ET20 or lower - thanks though

4. HummuH Forum Member

A guy racing with us in a Mk2 DSG TFSI is running 17" Pro Race 1.2's and I know he'll have done his research.

I was down at the bodyshop today with my car which is running 17x8 TD Pro Race 1.2's with 235/40/17 rubber. Running ET20 with 20mm spacers so zero offset effectively. The wheels still foul the inner arch and the bumper brackets too when on lock, so will need to be modified.

5. jasongtr Forum Member

big hammer then.....

6. HummuH Forum Member

Yes, several large ones and the racers best friend, the angle grinder.

7. jasongtr Forum Member

I'm looking at some 17x9 ET23 team dynamics pro race 1.2 - even though i prefer other wheels its proving either difficult or flaming bank crippling for anything else.

maybe these will be too wide after hearing your 17x8 ET0 are still struggling on full lock