175 / 70 / 14s List 1A for mostly tarmac use. Mk1 Golf

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by ClassicCompetition, Sep 1, 2012.

1. ClassicCompetition Forum Member

Title should say "13s"

Hi, any recomendations for some 1A tyres for my Mk1 Golf general competition car. 175/70/13s. I did a few events in my Midget (Hughes x 2, EAC) and am planning on doing a few more in my 81 Golf GTI. The Midget set top three times on several tests, grass, gravel or concrete (and on tarmac autotests) using Dunlop SP30 road tyres but they are really old tech. They went down hill rapidly as they wore too. Cheap though and I'm tempted to stick with what worked, even with such different cars. I guess weight not that different (750kg Midget vs 830 Golf) and power similar (100ish each)

Some people use mud and snow type tyres to get as close to a gravel tyre as possible but I'm not into running several sets of wheels with different sets of tyres and, anyway, in my limited expirience there are different requirements within one rally so i think a tarmac focus.

What do people recomend?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. jamesa Forum Junkie

3. ClassicCompetition Forum Member

Thanks for the link. Size is dictated by the historic rallying rules, unfortunately. It causes lots of issues with people geting frustrated trying to buy even "sporty" tyres, rather than just "budget" but the MSA won't budge despite protestations from HRCR etc. Obviously you can get full-on rally tyres in most sizes but they are banned too (got to be e marked). Apparently its even worse for the older cars, some of whom are competing on tyres designed for London taxis!

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thought that was the case, have just looked through the wheel specs for the Mk1 and 14" doesn`t appear until `84` ... to give you the 185/60 option.

Was the `81` Mk1 offered with a VW option of 14" wheels and if so would that be eligible ?

All the best with your efforts !