1800 8v knockin and rattling

Discussion in '8-valve' started by pyrotechnix, Oct 28, 2008.

1. pyrotechnix Forum Member

on my way to work on monday last wek, my o/s outer cv decided to let go, showerin the road with bearings and cassings, so i got the parts i need to put it right, however,
    ive just tried to start him up and he dont like it. it sounds like the cam is rattling or struggling to open the valves making an awfull noise and it refuses to stay running plus it sounds like a tank!!
    was thinkin it could be the remains of the joint makin lots of noise, however pushing the clutch down and stopping the shaft spinning makes no difference at all....
    Dropped valve maybe or summat more serious??

cheers
    andy

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Taking the cam cover off will give you a good idea.

If it looks normal with just the cover off, try turning the engine over on the starter, with the cover off.

A compression test would be a good idea too.

3. pyrotechnix Forum Member

what exactly should i look for under the cover?
    i had to tow it, would the movement on the shaft possibly damage to the other end, i.e flywheel??

andy

4. Ricky1516 New Member

i would of thought anything under the cover thats wrong would be fairly noticable. dont see how your c.v joint would effect the rest of the car though

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Loose bits of metal...damage to the tops of the tappets or cam lobes... cam not turning when you turn the engine over... full of black gunge... anything that doesn't look like a clean and well oiled machine, really.

As for the towing part, you won't have damaged the flywheel, as the driveshafts don't connect to it. Have a look down the back of the engine and check you haven't got any holes in the diff casing.