1900 8v poor performance

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ozp575, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ozp575 New Member

hi guys i,m new to this forum but not to old golfs at the minute i am running a mk1 with a 1900 dx bottom end and a mk2 k jet gti head but it doesnt seem to want to rev much beyond 5000 revs i find this very disapointing prior to having this head on i had a different head with a kent gs2h cam running twin carbs but i found it was still not running right so i switched back to k jet just wondering is this a common problem with these conversions (do you need to have the head gas flowed )or is it just mine i was told by the guy i bought it off that it was a gti engineering block to be fair its a really realyy torquey motor but i prefered the revvy nature of my other gtis if i cant get it to rev going to go for 16 valves

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

timing would be 1st thing to check, and make sure the dizzy is the right one for k-jet 8v

3. ozp575 New Member

timing

how would i know a k jet dizzy from another dizzy

4. rubjonny

part number on the side if you can find it, let us know if it has one :)
    also it needs to have the vacuum unit on there, if not its a digi type dizzy which would explain everything

5. ozp575 New Member

timing marks

problem sorted i was browsing the site and discovered i was using the wrong flywheel marks for timing ignition and cam swapped them around and cant beleive how well its going looks like that kr in the corner has got another repreive for a while by the way has anyone tried putting a 16v metering head and wur on on 8v and with what results thinking about going down this road along with a 5 cyl throttle body

6. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

If it's really torquey but not very revvy could also be cam timing. Has it got a vernier pulley? I think I'm right in thinking if you retard the cam timing, then it should rev better, but only if it was out in the first place of course.

7. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Oops hadn't noticed the above post, had this thread open too long!

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've used 16v WURs on modded 8v cars. It definitely helps to get the fuelling right. With a modded engine like that, you really need to increase the fuelling to get the best out of it. I'd recommend a setup on a rolling road, or using a wideband lambda meter if you can get hold of one.

Fitting the 16v WUR is fairly easy - fit it upside down and plumb the vac connection into the servo or breather pipes near the TB. A bigger throttle body is a common mod on those. I've got an old audi 80 TB on mine. you need to port the manifold to match it.

See if you can sneak a few more degrees of advance out of it - 8-10 degrees at idle with help pickup a lot.

9. rubjonny

mike the audi tb mod is only needed on mk1s, mk2s already have a bigger tb as std. audi tb is same size as mk2 gti/16v :)