1986 Mk2 golf 1.8 8v oil pressure low in head

Discussion in '8-valve' started by dubaddict1986, Jun 11, 2016.

1. dubaddict1986 New Member

Hello I was wandering if anyone could comment on the oil pressure problem I've got on my 8v I recently had a rebore,new pistons, crank regrind and all the bearings and oil Seals changed I had the head skimmed but I never had the head reconditioned just had the skim well after putting it all bk in the car I got it on the road and after two days of steady driving with no problems at all to speak of then suddenley I get the low oil pressure light flashing so I limped bk home which wasn't far so I have done all the usual things changed both pressure senders, changed oil pump, checked wiring, changed the oil for and a quality filter to and all is fine but its reading good pressure at the oil filter housing (40-50psi) ish at 2000rpm but when I tested head pressure from where the low pressure switch is on head and I'm not getting a lot hardly any tbh. What could be wrong as its. Stressing me out I have spent A LOT restoring this and I'm sick of spending money and its still not working could it be that the head has worn parts that could cause low pressure in head or maybe a blockage in the oil ways up to the head

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I had exactly this and it was trashed cam cap bearings. If the head/block wasn't 100% clean some swarf might have got into the oilways up there? Next step is whip the cam out for a look