1989 clipper fuse box diagram wanted

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by nme motorsport, Feb 23, 2020.

1. nme motorsport Forum Member

Hi All

i have been offered a G reg clipper 1.8 carb model Ex engine code i believe its been off the road for around 4 years i went to look at it and noticed the number 19 relay on the floor

it did start and run before it was parked up for the long period - i have a pic of the fuse box and what fuses and relays were in place when i got there and i want to compare them to a running model

when i turn the key i get no dash lights ( is there an in tank pump i should here priming when i flick the key ) i do get a spark at the plugs but i don't see any fuel flow in either of the 2 clear filters it looks like there is a lift pump on the front of the block

i have no idea what the wire going to the number 11 space in the fuse box is for and neither does the owner

so i need to know what number relays go where in-case somebody has been messing with them

i know the car needs a new roof , new interior , and carpets and a better dash , so ideally i want to here it run before i pay the price being asked for the car

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

19 relay is for front wipers, wont affect starting but it is in the wrong place should be in slot 10. coincidentally fuse 11 is for the wipers, pull out the bodge wire, refit a 15a fuse and chase where it goes. heres a handy guide for the fusebox (Its CE1)
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

theres no electric fuel pump on one of these, just a mechanical jobber on the block. When you say dash lights do you mean the battery & oil light? if so these are fed direct from the ignition switch look for the small black wire out the back it goes direct to the cluster. if it has a digital clock, does that work?

if you have a spark and no fuel flow spray some easy start into the carb see if it will fire up, if it does then maybe a fuel pump, filter or rubber pipe dropped off the sender in the tank, bad fuel, etc. worst case you may have rust in the tank, check the filler neck and the fuel lines

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Also, "either of the two clear filters" - there should be only one in-line filter.

I have found with EXs that have sat for a long time that fuel has hard time getting to the carb initially - I suspect it has something to do with the vapour separator. That's the cylinder mounted to the rocker cover right above the fuel pump. I've resorted to sucking fuel through using a syphon just to make sure there's some to the carb.

It's also worth while taking a look in the tank - the fuel pick-up hose in the tank may have disintegrated. Lift the back seat, remove the 3 screws on the inspection cover, remove the supply and return lines (making sure you have new hose clips handy) and twist out the sender/supply unit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020