1989 GOLF DRIVER 1.6 Transmission.

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by RR WALES, Feb 15, 2022.

1. RR WALES New Member

I have owned above car for 30years, now 211,00+ miles. Recently I've been offered a stand by gearbox, same green flange on drivers side of the diff as mine but 100mm drive flanges. Am I right in thinking that 90mm drive flanges can replace the 100mm units? Likewise the spedo drive on the offerd box has electrical conection, mine direct cable drive into the box retained by hexagan set screw, the offerd box retained by multi splined headed set screw, retaining casting area looks identical. Please can anyone advise, thank you

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as long as the flanges are correct type for the box yes, the 100mm flange box needs later type 90mm flange to suit. if you check your box look for the green seal holders, if it has those then you're good. for speedo sensor yep just remove the electric unit and your cable will drop in, either bolt will work (keep hold of the spare, its an odd size)

3. RR WALES New Member

Thank you rubjonny for your prompt reply.The drivers side of the diff has a green flange, and from what I can measure the O/D of the oil seal is 65mm with a depth of 10mm, the gap between drive flange and case prevents acurate vernier measurement of drive shaft input O/D. Transmission code is DFP09096 then stamped 14 beneath code. The only difference between my current 4T unit seems to be 3rd gear ratio, 1.28 on 4T, and 1.29 on the DFP.
    Clutch input shaft and bellhousing mounting appear identicle , although the DPF diff casting looks stronger around the output to drive flange.Could this along with the 3rd gear ratio indicate this box came from a diesel model around 1996 if my understanding of V.W. transmission codes is correct?
    My mistake regarding mileage it should read 211,000 + over the 30 years of ownership. Same engine, oil changed every 5,000 miles, never needs top up between changing, V.W. Mk2 quality.

4. rubjonny

5. RR WALES New Member

Again rubjonny thank you for your information and knowledge. The brokevw site is excellent, certainly very good pictorial layout. I have now bought the box as a standby, the only part missing is the oil breather, the tube is intact and not damaged but the black breather cap is missing. Is the tube and cap one unit, and if so is it threaded into the casing or an interference fit? Or is the black breather unit a seperate attached item which could possibly still be available?
    Thank you

6. rubjonny

cap is a separate part, just pulls off part number 014301485 at £2+VAT from the dealer or just nick one off a mk2/3/4 in scrappy or the one off your old box if it blows up :)

7. RR WALES New Member

Thank you rubjonny for all your help and information. Once time allows I'll aquire the part and prepair the standby replacement.
    As a passing thought, have you ever come across Techno Weld for low temprature aluminium fusion welding? Why I ask I've seen 020 gearboxes with the bellhousing showing about 2 - 4mm hole light impact damage, from the diff rivet problem.
    Thank you

8. rubjonny

I remember reading something about it a long time ago, I guess it would do the job here as its a low stress environment (at least until the rivet heads hit it :lol:)

just got to weigh the effort vs find a trashed gearbox strip it for its case and swap the internals over. other thing is if theres external evidence of damage you'll have metal swirling around inside the box so who knows what state the rest of it is in. I'd say only worth thinking about it if the box is special in some way